Ford Forums banner

brake info

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Rollin 
#1 ·
I had slotteds fitting today and after they were fitted I was talking to the mechanic (not the boss so I knew it wasnt bull :)). He sais slotteds are really the only way to go in the Fords. One emergency stop on standard new rotors can warp them. This wont happen with slotteds he said. He also said my pedal feel may be slightly different but I would get used to it. I haven't really noticed a change yet though the brakes seems very strong.

Anyhow, he also said that to really notice a big difference get stainless steel brake hoses fitted. He said that over time the normal ones tend to expand on braking (and he said commodores are way worse than Fords until the latest year or 2). He said stainless hoses mean very little pedal pressure is needed and they never deterioate over time or usage.

Hope this may be of interest...

#3 ·
Brakes?? You'll stop when you hit something. The initial hit doesn't hurt, it's about 5 minutes after that gets you thinking about brakes!! If the brakes fail make sure you have the emergency brake with you. ie. rope tied to a bloody big boat ancher and throw it out the window. When it grabs the car will stop. Just don't hang on to the rope when the slack goes out of the rope!!!!

#4 ·
its not so much to do with warping, but mainly fade - slotted or cross drilled and slotted are more resistane to fade -you get more hard stops in quick succession before they give up.

i managed to turn the stock rotors on my car blue through hard use and they never warped...

#5 ·
Cooling down after hard braking helps.I often let the car creep forward so the whole rotor cools evenly, the pads & calipers can hold heat in & cause warping...

#6 ·
^^^yeah - what he said ^^^ i always stop 2m or more back from the car in front at the lights and let the car roll forwards slowly every 30sec or so, for this exact reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.