Ford Forums banner

BOSS 260's

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  sniper545 
#1 ·
Sinse the BOSS 290's are hand made in aus by fpv, do they make the BOSS 260's here, and by fpv? its the same name.
if fpv do make the 260 they should do a BOSS 260 fairmont, fairlane (like the grange) and maby a wagon. (a 290 luxury car would devalue the GT)

PS i hope FPV do a RTV (hint hint Mr Flint)

#5 ·
PigDog said:
Both motors are slapped together entirely at the FPV factory. (US parts bin motor)
A little harsh. While the majority of the components are US sourced, there are still a number of locally sourced bits and pieces in these to help them fall short of that description.

Cheers
Russ

#8 ·
ELLIOT said:
Ford Oz can only put together about 6000 Boss motors. Thats why the Boss motor only comes in the XR and FPV range only
As I understand it FPV are putting out about 40-45 Bosses a day, six days a week. This equates to up to 14,000 a year.

PigDog said:
Both motors are slapped together entirely at the FPV factory. (US parts bin motor)
Yes as per Russ, while many of the parts are US parts bin (isn't this true for all Ford V8's ever?), there a few somewhat substantial parts made here. The awesome manifold and plenum setup (below) that necessitates the bulge takes the 5.4 block to new levels for factory N/A spec. It ensures that the high-breathing heads get all the air they can take short of being force fed. Even then the CAPA setup plugs straight in to that same set of trumpets. I'm sure there'd be a few US modular-block owners that wouldn't mind one (FF member BOSS330 being one).

The sheer amount of development that FPV have put into these engines also shouldn't be taken lightly. Serious dyno hours were put in using a variety of configurations and certain proposals were proven to be less than ideal.

Attachments

#9 ·
I feel I also need to further explain what goes on here.

The BOSS 260 and 290 are based on the 5.4L american block. The 220 engine uses the 5.4L american heads. The 260 and 290 engines use the 4.6L american mustang heads and the 290 uses different pistons, cam and value springs + other bits.

What I am trying to show here is that even though the bits are US, the design and build is TOTALLY aussie. America does not build 260 or 290 engines for their markets.

The GEN III and GEN IV engines come prebuilt in crates from the US AS FITTED to US rust buckets!!

Big difference. BOSS 260/290 = aussie ingenuity. GEN III/GEN IV = US money forced on aussie crapadore owners. Toyota = jap, crapadore = US, BOSS = aussie.

Buy australian and be proud of it!!

#10 ·
alot.. if not all of the v8 parts are australian sources.

#12 ·
nah not produce.. they ship over a boxed engine change 2 parts and slap a holden badge on it.. and in their eyes its australian made.

#13 ·
Holden are producing 6 cylinder engines at Fishermans Bend Port Melb.
Cheers John

#15 ·
GTP 320 said:
Holden are producing 6 cylinder engines at Fishermans Bend Port Melb.
Cheers John
So i guess theyre "engineers" are fisherman ;)

pull up old rushy cars out of the bottom of the harbour and rip out the engine slap a holden sticker on it and call it a new LS1 ;)

#17 ·
Charliewool said:
Such as the cam chain tensioners! :AAHHH:
LOL! Note that I didn't claim they were good parts. If we ignore the marketing hype and Corporate bullshit about supporting local industry, retaining local skills, employing Australians etc. etc., bleat bleat - then we find there are only three reasons why you'd bother supplying any local components.

1. They are cheaper.
2. They are unique and built in such small numbers than Ford US couldn't even be bothered starting up the urn let alone the factory.
3. It earns you brownie points with the Government.

Cheers
Russ

#19 ·
FPR_Lowndes said:
Would one of those parts be the holden badge? and the other a new "burn no oil" oil ring?
you hit the nail on the head there ;)

#21 ·
Russ,

As a middle manager of a local supplier to Ford and GM I simply must take issue with a few of your points.

russellw said:
LOL! Note that I didn't claim they were good parts.
Better they be imported then?

Exhibit A:
The Mustang is still cramped, uncomfortable, has the fit and finish of a Grade 3 school project and makes various clunking noises from odd places.

russellw said:
we find there are only three reasons why you'd bother supplying any local components.

1. They are cheaper.
NOT. We pride ourselves on our ludicrous pricing but, alas, Ford forces us top compromise even that!

russellw said:
2. They are unique and built in such small numbers than Ford US couldn't even be bothered starting up the urn let alone the factory.
ie. Falcon. Yes small numbers is what we do, but the urn remark! The urn is well worth turning on. Make a part, have a cuppa. Make a part, have a cuppa. Make two parts, throw them out they're both wrong, have a cuppa.

russellw said:
3. It earns you brownie points with the Government.
Thats absolutely untrue (he says looking proudly at Innovation award presented by local chamber of commerce).

#22 ·
Madder said:
Russ,

As a middle manager of a local supplier to Ford and GM I simply must take issue with a few of your points.

Better they be imported then?
Exhibit A:
The Mustang is still cramped, uncomfortable, has the fit and finish of a Grade 3 school project and makes various clunking noises from odd places.

NOT. We pride ourselves on our ludicrous pricing but, alas, Ford forces us top compromise even that!
The comment primarily referred to the poorly built cam chain tensioners which certainly shouldn't have passed local QC.

ie. Falcon. Yes small numbers is what we do, but the urn remark! The urn is well worth turning on. Make a part, have a cuppa. Make a part, have a cuppa. Make two parts, throw them out they're both wrong, have a cuppa.
I rest my case.

Thats absolutely untrue (he says looking proudly at Innovation award presented by local chamber of commerce).
LOL!!

#23 ·
Madder said:
As I understand it FPV are putting out about 40-45 Bosses a day, six days a week. This equates to up to 14,000 a year.

It takes 4 hours to build a 290kW BOSS, That is, take the BOSS260 Block, take a good look at it (make sure the tolerances are inside limits) then piece it together with parts made in Australia for Australian conditions and Australian expectations; Test it until the exaust headers glow bright red, dump the oil and replace the filters, give it the green light by stamping an engine number, and send it back to Ford so they can deliver it to the proud owner. I would like to see the Tech sign the engine just like they did with the T-series. It just reaffirms that a little bit more effort was employed to make it that much better!
Ford are the only people that MANUFACTURE V8's in this country.......remember that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.