Ford Forums banner

Manual vs auto ECU ?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  wiresquire 
#1 ·
Hi. I've got an ED manual and had it serviced a little while ago. I was told that it had an auto computer in it. They were also quoting some *serious* cash to replace it with a manual ECU.

A couple of questions:
- I'm wondering how I can check this? I don't trust those guys as far as I can throw them.
- I'm guessing if it really is an auto ECU, I should look at getting it replaced. Any tips on how much, where to get it from and/or how hard it is to do ?

Yeah, I'm a veggie :idk: Go easy on me.

Thx for help
ws

#2 ·
Is it a 6 or 8? The 5lts had a seperate auto computer which sits to the left of the drives feet and the main ECU to the left of the passangers feet.

The 6, I can't be sure as I only own 8's is all combined in one, but didn't think there was a difference between the auto and manual. But I'll leave it to someone that knows what they are talking about on whether it should be replaced.

#3 ·
As far as I am aware, in the ED's, there was no change to any EEC between the auto and manual except for the auto trans module. So if it does have an auto computer there would be no reason to change it. Whoever put it in there would have just disabled the auto functions.

#4 ·
Thx - I shoulda mentioned it's an I6.

I just found this thread after a long wander around (you can't search for ECU , 'cause it's 3 letters :bang: )
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=39089
that has a long list of ECU parts. Which I couldn't work out what an ED would be, but that's another story.

Seems they have different part no's for manual and auto? Am I reading it right htat the only difference is something extra for the auto trans?

PS - sorry if I sound extra stupid. I've left my car at my old man's so I can't even check under the hood at the moment...

#5 ·
wiresquire said:
Seems they have different part no's for manual and auto? Am I reading it right htat the only difference is something extra for the auto trans?
Yeah as far as I am aware, the only difference is the added function of the auto trans shift points etc. I don't think any other things in the EEC were changed for the 6cyl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.