Ford Forums banner

OIL Filter removal

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  cArSiK 
#1 ·
hey
anyone contemplating an oil filter replacement, get one of the claw type filter removal tools, as its damn near impossible to remove it with the regular springy type

damn near busted my finger when the normal type one i had slipped and i bashed the chassis

#3 ·
Here is a picture of my tools. I can honestly say I've tried pretty much every kind there is. I won't use anything but a ratchet-type one on my cars.

The 3-pronged thing on the left is my new tool which I bought for the 4 cyl. It cost $15 from some auto shop and is not the best thing out there, but it was all that fitted and was affordable.

On the right is my E-series compatible SuperCheap Auto tool. It cost well under $10 and would always be my first choice. I would have bought a smaller equivalent for the 4 cyl but they only make them in too-small and too-large sizes.

#4 ·
mine is similar to hte black one on the left, although different.

ill see if i can grab a pic. if your close to an autobarn store, go have a look its chrome, and comes with a moulded in 3/8th drive, and a half inch drive adapter also.
it was $33, which brought the total expendature today to $120 (new trolley jack and axle stands, 2 filter removers-first one was the dodgy one, penrite hpr40 oil and ryco Z9 filter)

finally, FVCK my finger is sore GRRRR

#7 ·
I've actually found the best filter remover to be the short length of square tubing with a loop of seat belt material attached. This tube then attaches to a 1/2" drive rachet.
You just wrap the strap around the filter and undo it with a rachet.

These last forever, never slip, and have removed every filter I've ever attempted.

Rick.

#9 ·
Well with a bit of lateral thinking, i used a hose clamp on the filter, and a screwdiver in that, and a hammer to loosen the filter on my, then hand tighten it as tight as possible, then a long scrwdriver, and a carefull tap from the top into the rim of the filter to tighten it fully. no leaks and was pretty easy to do :0)

#11 ·
i never have any trouble getting my filter off by hand....i just smear some clean oil on the new filter seal before installing it hand tight. Never leaks and is never hard to get off...

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.