Ford Forums banner

Exhaust drone - how to make it go away?

6K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  blueoval 
#1 ·
Hey guys

Im starting to get over my loud (well im sure its not loud to some) exhaust because it can drone quite a bit at times ,and that just pi$$es me off.

I currently have extractors , 2.5" mercury cat back with one resonator , a muffler and hot dog on the back. I want it a fair bit quieter because it drones like crazy on the highway at 115km/h. and in third gear around town heaps.

What can i get installed in the system to quiet it down a bit?. I still want tone , just not as loud...

Thanks guys
James

#6 ·
haha kerry , im over the loud stage i think!!....didnt last all that long hahah

thats exactly what im after a nice loud note when the taps are open , some tone but quiet when cruisin normal....

what brands do you reccomend? what prices would i be looking at?

Thanks guys

james

#7 ·
TIKFD6 said:
Hotdogs are not good for the street.

No not at all. I prefer them in my belly (sorry, I had to)

I thought a hotdog was the thing to reduce droning/resonating without losing the sound? Everyone always recommends you throw a hotdog on a resonating six

Is there any performance differences between say having a single muffler with a hotdog as opposed to two mufflers?

#8 ·
On my old system i had one BIG custom made Genie muffler, it did sound good, but that mufler cost me $300.
A good straight through muffler will do the job better than a hotdog, and attract less unwanted attention.

Most of the time they will cost less aswell.
Jim my system is a Humex, if you give me a few days i can get the part numbers for you.

#11 ·
TIKFD6 said:
On my old system i had one BIG custom made Genie muffler, it did sound good, but that mufler cost me $300.
A good straight through muffler will do the job better than a hotdog, and attract less unwanted attention.

Most of the time they will cost less aswell.
Jim my system is a Humex, if you give me a few days i can get the part numbers for you.

thanks for the offer kerry , the part number of the straight through muff on yours would be great.Im in no rush for it tho.....

Jamie XR6 said:
You could always buy a Camry.

Please don't hit me!
If i bought a camry i would have to change my wardrobe and get some cardigans now wouldnt i........

I hear camryforums.com goes off tho....

heheh
James

#13 ·
just the muff i think kerry......im not planning to spend much , afterall i only recently nearly spent a grand on the system......so it would be kinda silly to start from scratch.

james

#15 ·
my bank manager said i could only afford one go..... and i failed :(

#17 ·
hahahahhaah
i dont hate it , its just annoying and farty times.....!!!!!!!

i would rather have a quieter zorst that be partially deaf by the time im 21....

j

#18 ·
Put hot dog further forward in system were some backpresure makes it work better.
There is a straight through type muffler with a slight S or curve through it and they quiet'n things down good....Liverpool exhaust sell/ fit them around $180 ...

#19 ·
interesting I have a 2.5" mercury offset centre muffler and rear resonator on my EB and a 2.5" redback offset centre muffler and rear resonator on my AU and no droning,at idle you can hardly hear it and under normal driving it is quiet but has a nice note when you put the foot down.

#20 ·
do you have extractors taximan?

#21 ·
Another option is to pull out your boot liner and put some carpet underlay down before you refit it. Worked on an older falcon I had and the best part is it's still loud outside but comfy inside. :clap:

#22 ·
EAO , good suggestion.....im planning to sound proof my car soon so that may be an option depending on the quotes i get to quiet down the exhaust....

#24 ·
my 2 cents worth

In the EA i had 2.5 cat back mandrel bent with only a single Berklee 8x4 2.5 in O/C straight through, Fibre glass pack, Perf tube

But after all that jargon What REALLY made the differance was the choice of my tip
I got a resonator tip in 2.5 in chrome (it Looked Sweet). The tip was fitted after the rest of the system and instantly made it sound 100 times better

The car did not drone at all, and the tip filtered out all the crap sounds and only left the sweet ones. I had heaps of people comment on the car because it would cruise quietly but still give a wicked sound under load if you wanted

Have fun everyone will give you diffrent opinions/ideas

Ash

#25 · (Edited)
Yes try a smaller pipe before tail pipe or some type of baffle say 200mm from end, also make sure the tail pipe is outside the rear of car NOT under...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.