Ford Forums banner

cheap 302 upgrades

29K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  XDman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all
i have around 1 - 1.5k to spend on my clevo 302 its got a toploader running behind it. I was just wondering what would be the cheapest and best way to get a bit more horsies out this engine. We already have a mild cam i think you could call it that. The reason the budgets rather small is that im on a 16 yr old saving wage lol! I get my p's in about 3 weeks and i dont wanna get beaten by shity vl's etc. So im thinkin new headers? exrtactors etc, ohh and also got a 700cfm vacuum secs holly on it. Sorry if this doesnt make any sense but i just need some cheap upgrades that have bang for your buck basically, ohh its got a LSD 2.92 ratio diff on it, should i just change the ratio?

Xd.

#2 ·
Hi there, The first thing I would do is get a 351 crank, keep the 302 rods and get them machined, balanced etc to the 351 balanced crank. You'll then have to get some pistons to suit the 6inch 302 rod, around $400. 302 rods gives more torque and better rod angle for a revving engine. (I'm assuming you can take the engine out of the vehicle) if not go extractors either tri Y or 4 into 1 make sure you have a 3inch pipe if its single or preferably twin 2 1/4 will be fine.

Check the cam go at least .530 lift and .540 ex for a strong mid range revving engine, should rev to around 5500-6000rpm. A cam change is around $300 parts, labour nothing if you do it.

Roller rockers bolt on will help a little, Yella Terra bolt-ons

Also what dizzy are you running? get an electronic one (has the module on the side, there great XD dizzy)

Change the diff ratio for faster acceleration to 3.25 or 3.5 won't be as good on the Hwy (ie will rev higher) but if you want to be quick change it.

Hope this helps Paul

#4 ·
*FLAMING SELF*
should have put this in the engine tech part, sorry fellas
*END FLAME*

ok thanks paul, that was great info, so you would reccomend getting a 351 crank - balance it, keep rods - get them machined and balanced with crank. I was wondering what the cost involved would be for this
Also, probably a cheaper option is the diff ratio change, i wanna keep the lsd i got in it now cause i dont wanna spend money on a new diff.. would i be able to get a new set of gears that fit straight into it, like around 3.45 or 3.55 or something around there, not sure wot i can get ill have to ring around a bit, but if any of you have done the same that would be easier :)
I am going to get extractors but it will be later on, just for now i need a acceleration fix cause im hungry!!! (i drive safely, honest)

#5 ·
Not sure on the exact cost the crank could be around $200 the money would be getting the crank, rods balanced etc, phone a machine shop, my guess around $500-$600 all up. And the motor would have to be pulled down so more expense in labour, so it might not be worth it, since your only 16 a 302 should be more than enough!! geez I could only drive my olds 4cyl when I was that age and p's when I was 18.

Change the diff ratio and get the extractors put on, don't play with the motor until it needs be pulled down, considering your 16 my guess would be 1year max, maybe 2 years!

What kind of diff? 8 3/4 b/w diff? You'll have to pull the centre out, not sure on those diffs never done one, but it can't be hard, get an XD V8 Gregorys manual, will have everything you need to know in it. Also put a thread in the diff/trans area.

I'd go 3.45 or even 3.25 will improve your acceleration heaps. Another suggestion I have would be to take the centre out and give it to a diff shop to do the ratio change and check everything out like the LSD clutches and bearing, again since your young the diff centre could be rooted, burnouts and clutch dumping kills diffs, you might needs a few parts replaced.

No offence coz your 16, I was that age once and know what goes on, I had a mate blow three diffs in a year!!! He had an XF 6cyl manual and really gave it stick.

Avoid hard dumping of the clutch, the shudder through the gearbox and diff kills them.

Avoid burnouts from dirt onto the road, when the tires bight the road also kills diff

Cheers

#6 ·
Mostly Clevo's advice is all spot on in my view except for the diff ratio suggestion. But the single best thing you can do is take it from a 302 to 351. Done properly ie with lots of torque I don't think the diff will be such a big issue. Ratio changes are expensive done properly, and in my view, with a very torquey 351 it will be hard to justify the expense. Especially as a 'P' plater you will be driving everywhere as often as possible and fuel economy and cruisability will be better on the 2.92 ratio...

So keep the cam size reasonable and goto 351 internals as Clevo explained. You've got 302 small chamber heads already which will give you a very torquey combination. You will need to do some relief work to bring the compression back down (will go to 12.1:1 with 351 internals) to 10.5:1.

A lot of tow truck drivers go for that set-up (302 heads on a 351) because of the massive torque response. I did this set-up on my 3rd last cleveland, though it wouldn't pull big revs (5500 max) and had a baby cam, it did a 14.4 quarter with 2.77:1 diff and full Fairmont Ghia trim on stock wheels in 1995.

#7 · (Edited)
edit: didnt see clevo's post!!!!! im an f head

yeh i am 16, going on 7 in 2 weeks tho... doesnt change anything tho !! :)hehehehehe
yeh, i just want some more punch off the line so i can keep up with my mates standard V8's.. shes a bit slow off the line..
ohh its already got a cam in it i think its 1500-4500 somewhere around there, you can really feel the clevo pull when u hit 3rd tho... dunno why :)

edit2: Clevo: it has a 10 bolt borgy in it i think, tag says the ratio is 2.92 just checked it then... and i think ive already got a gregory's manual.. yeh anyways how much would u rekkon it cost to get the 10 bolt to a 3.45 or somewhere around there? im sooo glad i found these forums :)

Thanks clevo and STROKEXD.. im hoping to get around under 16 secs quarter, havnt raced my baby much tho, just been going slow withit... only did 1 burnout so far, and that was with my dad in the car (this was also the only one we have done since installing the manual) :wnc:

#8 ·
Even with flat top pistons the compression will be too high, so the heads will need some machining to get the compression down. Stay with flat tops and not dished. Go with clevo's advice on cam size, you may find yours has enough wear in it to justify replacing it anyway.

From go to whoa you should get the whole job done properly somewhere between $1000-$1500 absolute max, this will give you a near new motor and put enough smiles on your face you will be grinning for a week... Do the grunt work yourself like pulling it out and putting it in.

#9 ·
ohhh... and also, ill be driving my mums 4 cyl 1.6L corolla around during the week, so i only have to pay 10 bux a week for that, and i drive my car around on the weekend, so it will be about 50 bux a weekend hopefully... ;) i can remember when we had the carby way to big for the engine, gave it stick once... saw the fuel gauge go down also.. :AAHHH:

#10 ·
Extractors and exhaust will give the most benifit I'd say.

If you've already done the cam and a larger carby then not getting the exhaust done will be strangling it.

A 3.45:1 ratio for the borgy will put you along at about 3000rpm at 100kmh which for a 302 should be bugger all.

#11 ·
thanks alot guys, im now trying to source some diff ratios for my borg at like u said 3.45 should be sweet.. anyone know where i can go look see on the net or ring someone?

#12 ·
Where you located? Look for a diff/ mechanical shop. If the cam revs comfortably from 1500 - 4500 i would say its a stock cam. Whats the max rpm you get out of it?

Get a dial guage and check the lift of the inlet and exhaust from the end of the pushrod, or measure the compression of the springs if you can do it accurately.

If stokexd got 14.4 with a 2.77 then yes I'd stay with your 2.92 and look at the engine and exhaust system. Your mates won't be anywhere near that mark.

#13 ·
well my mate has a 215kw commie, APPARENTLY, havnt seen dyno results i just wanna be able to beat him, only in drag racing, so i dont care much for topend speeds.. im in Cairns, aka woop woop... yeh its hard to find stuff up here, but max i wanna spend is a 1k.... so yeh, prolly wont be able to do it but yeh, any suggestions takin seriosly :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.