Ford Forums banner

Damn E-series!

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  fordel 
#1 ·
I dropped my car off for a minor service and safety check as I am heading to QLD in a week or so. I supplied my own oil and therefore it was going to cost $90 just for the service. Sweet.

I got a call later from the mechanic saying... One of the front struts is leaking; the two front tyres have a lot of wear on the inside and are nearly unroadworthy AND the front brakes are shot. All in all, it was going to come close to around the $500 mark.

While I am replacing the brakes I thought I might as well get slotted rotors for the front. I got a price of $120 each from the mechanic and instead I told him I would look around. I just purchased them for $98 off autospeed.com. Pretty excited now!!

Will tell you how it goes when I pick the car up tonight and get the brakes done hopefully on Monday/Tuesday.

Cheers!

#2 ·
The tyre wear will be an alignment issue so be sure to make that a priority too.

Certainly no E-series specific probs there, just older cars in general. Let us know how it goes mate. :thup:

#3 ·
Thanks Jack! I know it's not E-series specific, I'm just a little cheesed off as you could imagine.

I put away $300 for a decent service and fix, and now it looks like it's creeping past $500. Not good - especially when I am digging into my QLD spending money :(

The wheel issue wasn't actually with my car's alignment, but with the previous owner who didn't get a camber kit fitted when their's was lowered. Therefore the wear is uneven on the inside. I'm looking at $150 each (need only two).

To make things worse, the rear muffler doesn't have much life left in it! Along with my sump having a big dent in it... Along with the plug on my diff almost being impossible to get off. Sheesh. I can't wait to get all these niggling issues sorted out.

#4 ·
my front brakes were shot about 20,000km's, they're still stopping the car fine, i'm about to replace them now :)
damn mechanics!

#7 ·
exactly:what ED GLI V8 said *winks*

#11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, but it's been a while since then! I got brand new front tyres and a wheel alignment. Made it up to QLD without ANY problems! Good old Ford reliability.

Only problem I have now is the car's brakes groan and squeal like a bitch.

#13 ·
hot_eb said:
Thats the ultimates...they have a high metal content so they squeel when they are cold...a few hard stops should warm them quick!
Can you explain the horrible groaning noise - happens at very low speeds when braking, ie. parking.

I had the option of Lucas pads which I was told were better as they didn't really need to be heated to be effective. I'm going to take it back to the mechanic soon. I just hope that I didn't warp the new rotors :fraz:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.