Ford Forums banner

Exahust Tip Question

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Supa R00 
#1 ·
hi evryone, i just bought my self a nice lookin exhaust tip for my XR and im going to be putting it on soon :hy:, my question is what is the go with welding on cars???... do u have to take the battery terminals off? and if so will my cars ECU have to relearn it self or what? any help would be great! :fraz:

#3 ·
around 20-30 minutes from memory.

When i had another muffler added to my car, they didnt disconect the battery. And theres been no problems.

I probably would just to be safe but

#4 ·
so ya reckon i should get it all ready to weld and take the terminals off and do the welding asap so the ecu isnt disconnected for long, prob 5 mins max?

#6 ·
Most exhaust shops have a special surge protector they just place over the battery terminals. All the technical material I've read at college says to disconnect both battery terminals before carrying out any welding. I wouldnt worry too much about the ECU resetting itself as it wont take long to relearn again.

#7 ·
well i got it done... it looks awesome, i just disconnected the baterry, cut the exhaust put the tip on and welded it in place, the car was fine... normal... i only had to enter the code for the radio... thats about it and thanx for the tips... will post pics soon if yas want! :hy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.