Ford Forums banner

Finally Got Something

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  madwob 
#1 ·
Ok for those who may not know i've been looking for a project car, i was after an XF/EA Fairmont Ghia & after a couple of months of searching i never found one that was a good base & was in my price rang. Yesterday i came across an XD Fairmont Ghia at a car yard. It was in my price range and is in untouched original condition. Just a bit about it:
- 4.1 Alloyhead Six, Auto air Pwr Steer 225,000k's
- Blue in colour, paint work is not bad for age, little rust
- Original Ghia wheels & 5th Alloy
- Grey velour interior (very good for a 22 year old car) all power windows work & believe it or not are smoother than my AU.
- Original Pioneer Radio/Cassete
- Rear window louver (old man style)

The car is a pleasure to drive, still very tight, very little squeaks & rattles, the seats don't even squeak. The only thing that is not original is the Sports Steering wheel. The motor & g/box are very smooth with very little lifter noise. The only thing mechanically that obviously needs work is the power steering pump is noisy, could be the belt & low speed diff noise.

I pick it up tommorow

Will post photos as soon as i can take photos of it.

Cheers,
Adrian

See less See more
#2 ·
great mate, looking forward to seeing the pics!! what do you have planned?

#3 · (Edited)
Plans for the XD

Here are some pics

Plans.....Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Well

Rip out interior, clean everything, then decide what will be replaced or re-trimmed. Fix things that don't work properly (radio & elec. aerial)
Degrease & clean engine & fix noisy power steering pump

Then cut out rust & full respray

Engine possibilities;
- XF EFI (done this before, pretty simple)
- 351 Cleveland
- AU Intec I6

Who knows what else

#5 · (Edited)
that's weird i just tried them and they worked, maybe if you just go to the members gallery you might able to see them

Edit:
I've just updated the links hope they work, you should see the medium size image, if you want the full size go to the gallery

#9 · (Edited)
Ok guys i've had the car for about 3 months now & i've set out to make the Xd Interior a bit more like a Modern GHIA. I posted a while back in the interior section about finding some imatation woodgrain, found a 1.5MM thick laminate and this is how it turned out. It wasn't easy, i spent hours playing with a coping saw. I've also covered the rear of the console & the rear power window switches. Let me know what you think. In my gallery also you can see what the interior used to look like, since then i've also stripped & cleaned the whole interior, i also managed to clean the carpet up really good. The upholstery on the seats has aged so i might replace the front seats with EF/EL Fairmont Seats & retrim the rear to suit.
Cheers,
Adrian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.