Ford Forums banner

Boss 260

19K views 91 replies 31 participants last post by  rod c 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

We know the BA XR-8 is 260kw. Does anyone know what it is at the rear wheels?
Also if one was going to do some simple mods to get the best bang for buck what would be suggested? I assume exhaust and intake, I looked at the Herrods site but they dont really go into much detail. Can anyone recommend anything/anyone else?

#10 ·
What would you guys suggest as way of a cold air intake (who and $)

#11 ·
Currently I know of 3 options for Cold Air Intakes (CAI) in the market for BA XR8s:

1) SS Induction. It's about $470 to order the kit (excludes air filter). Requires you to do the fitting yourself.

2) Herrod induction kit. It's about $700 and consists of an enhanced wide mouth SS induction kit + BMC air filter. Big plus with this option is that it gets fitted for you!

3) Battens induction kit. It's about $400 and consists of their own intake system and comes with BMC Filter for that price. For that price they also supply a predrilled housing so you get to keep your original box intact. THis is the one I have ordered and will hopefully arrive next week. You need to fit this yourself.

THe SS induction and Herrod enchanced SS induction kit look better cosmetically than the Batten's kit. Aside from this I think they do pretty much the same thing and produce similar gains. I have heard nothing but strong praises from customers of option 2 and 3.

#12 ·
image001 said:
What would you guys suggest as way of a cold air intake (who and $)
i have SS induction havn't cut it into a big mouth its very good you well feel the difference...if you dont want to splash the cash all at once you can do the induction and buy the BMC filter later or the other way round.
SS is $500 fitted if you dont want to install, 5% discount for FF members at Herrod's.
thx.

#14 ·
I am also going with Batten's kit next week with BMC filter (they can supply K&N too if you want it). Herrod's may be fitted for you but that's not much good when you're about 9hrs drive away! lol....

Before you get an induction kit, just try a BMC filter, the difference should be noticeable just with that. I'll try the filter first when my kit arrives. The Battens kit is very easy to install yourself.

#15 ·
I'll try a few things:

First stock box with just the BMC filter
Second the intake with the stock filter
Third the intake with the BMC filter.

Just for interest sake. Of course, all feedback will be done via the BUMmometre.

#19 · (Edited)
BlackXR said:
I put a b.m.c filter in the standard air box and i felt the difference in power and better fuel economy to. :driver:

And it was only $180.00 :rofl2:
Yes I did this before i fitted the SS induction it worked well it lets the air go through the intake very easily not like the Ford Filter..

#20 ·
Thanks for your thoughts guys, OK B.M.C filter sounds like a good start, what the best place to get one (in Melbourne)

#21 ·
image001 said:
Thanks for your thoughts guys, OK B.M.C filter sounds like a good start, what the best place to get one (in Melbourne)
Autobahn or Herrods will have them in stock any good autoshop could order you one in, if you are going to buy the cleaning kit buy the K&N cleaning kit costs $28 the BMC cleaning kit was $44 and they do exactly the same thing...

#22 ·
XRFPV8 said:
Autobahn or Herrods will have them in stock any good autoshop could order you one in, if you are going to buy the cleaning kit buy the K&N cleaning kit costs $28 the BMC cleaning kit was $44 and they do exactly the same thing...
How often do you clean your b.m.c.filter? i haven't cleaned mine yet.

#23 ·
BlackXR said:
How often do you clean your b.m.c.filter? i haven't cleaned mine yet.
It can vary just check it every 5000klms. I have the SS induction. I check mine more often because of the big opening get's more crap down on to the filter after I came back from Echuca lots of bugs and stuff....

#24 ·
rod c said:
Should be a worth while experiment fullthrottle, let us know what you think.
Well ... the Batten's intake system finally arrived.

1st experiment: Changed stock filter to the BMC filter. Noticed no difference on the bummometre.

2nd experiment: Fitted the induction system with the BMC filter. Drove around the block. Noticed no difference in performance but much nicer note coming from the tail pipe. It also made a loud belowing noice from the bonnet when i planted the foot. Initial feeling.... didn't give the increase I was expecting....

3 days later....

The thing hammers! Exhaust note is nicer again... Induction noise isn't as evident though (dunno if I'm just use to it).... but the performance is good. Not mind boggling but good. Most noticably for me is excelleration in 1st gear and changing into second...it seems to rev harder and faster. I haven't thrown it on the dyno yet.

Photos here.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/fullthrottle/enginebay.JPG
http://members.optusnet.com.au/fullthrottle/airintake.JPG

It looks real neat, almost like it came from factory. There is no issue with rubber pressing against the mouth either. (I drew chalk against the rubber to see where it pressed against the mouth.) If you look at the bonnet there is a little cut out section...almost as if they purposely did it for this intake lol.

Overall feeling. I was expecting big gains from all the excitement I've read. It does give a little bit of omph to the drive...but not as much as I had expected. But for $400 including the BMC filter...you can't complain!

#25 ·
Thanks for the review fullthrottle, when you say you were expecting big gains from all the excitement you read I wonder if the SS Induction model or Herrods might give a bit more power with the lager mouth?.....from the look of the pic, did you have to cut a hole in the side of the filter housing?

#26 ·
fullthrottle said:
Well ... the Batten's intake system finally arrived.

If you look at the bonnet there is a little cut out section...almost as if they purposely did it for this intake lol.
The XR6T use one that looks exactly the same , thats why they screw into the stock screw holes.
I have one of these for sale , as I never used it due to getting the SS type .
Its in for sale for $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.