Ford Forums banner

Buying an EF really soon. Advice please!!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mongoose3800 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, im buying myself an EF Fairmont in the next week. Just thought i'd post here to see what people think of a few of the cars ive been looking at.

First one is a 1995 EF Fairmont with 180,000kms on it and the guy is asking $8,990 for it, could probably get him down to $8,000 and its from a dealership with s/history, rwc & 3 month warranty.

Second one is a 1995 EF Fairmont with 143,000kms on it, private seller, has a spoiler, he's asking $8,300 for it, dunno about the service history but he seems pretty genuine. Also has rwc.

Third one is a 1994 EF Fairmont Ghia with 118,000kms on it, private seller, pretty much the same as the Fairmont but with leather, no RWC but he said it's included for $8,750.

All of them are series 1 as far as I know, should i look for a series 2? or is the series 1 pretty reliable?

Also what are these like for modifications? The 4L goes pretty hard compared to my 92 Volvo 940, but I know im gonna want more power down the track. So i'll have plans for exhaust/extractors, larger intake & K&N filter. I'm hoping that I'll notice a difference with these mods?

Thanks
nick

See less See more
#3 ·
Mileage is important. With a difference of just over 60,000km in the cars you are looking at I'd be looking at the lower mileage car. $8,000 is a lot of money to spend on a car with 180,000. It would only probable give you a couple of years before needing work. You also have to ask yourself why a dealer has it - it was probably a trade in which means the previous owner probably let it go for 5,000 to 6,000. Maybe even cheaper. Try and talk down the lower mileage car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.