Ford Forums banner

why so slow??

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  The Goodz 
#1 ·
Apart from my ford, I also own an old 240 volvo. I use it for work because it sits outside all day. it has plenty of dents from weather (and losers). It is reliable (360000kms never had the head off, still uses no oil), it has the standard 100kw, 200nm 2.3litre 4, 1280kg, 3.54:1 diff ratio, 6500rpm redline). it is auto. Mechanically fine, ugly and unloved (hey, why waste my ford!). Anyhoo, I've raced a few ea's eb's (auto's) and square pegged them to 80kph (we don't go over the limit) and tonight I raced an immaculate eb falcon s xr6. a black one. I beat it!

Manuals leave the line much quicker and I have no chance. My wife's 2000 vt bommodore (they have a much lower first gear) also spanks the falcon autos. is this because of the tall first gear in the ford auto? maybe a tune up for the ford. diff ration change?

I love my fords, this is NOT anti ford. it is just a puzzlement to me. any thoughts?

#4 ·
lol yeah i would have to agree and say that the ultra tall first gear is a killer, try and take a commodore box to 90 in first and see what it does, woot. A diff change is the only way to combat the suckiness.

#6 ·
In my personal opinion... the Ford autos are a curse to us all!!! You can put in a shorter diff ratio but you'll only equal the Commodore's take-off at the expense of low rpm highway refinement. That Ford continues to curse even its latest models with that 1st gear is a disgrace.

An interesting fact to consider - if you compared a 3 speed/2.77 EA to a 5 speed/2.92 model, you'll find the 3 speed's gear ratios are somewhat similar to gears 2, 3 and 4 in the manual. In other words, it's like having the manual but taking off in second gear, and cruising on the highway in 4th! :ihi:

/me looks forward to my Commodore transmission. :p

#9 ·
Xrated, the 4 speed Falcon and Commodore have pretty much identical highway cruising rpm and similar 3.08 diff gears. Axeman produced the figures in the "what diff to shove between the legs" thread.

Walky, I'd like that except that the 4 speed is electronic, which could be a bit of a drama. Also, I understand BT-R mods are more costly and the boxes are (I think) more fragile...

#10 ·
Even the BA has piss weak take off, the first gear is far too tall, I've managed 90km/h in first gear... Once moving though they're good. The EA autos especially the 3 speed are the slowest things on the road, but are awesome highway cruisers, and that is really all that matters (to me anyway).

Anyway, if you want better take off, put in a manual with a higher diff ratio, and you'll be fine.

Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.