Ford Forums banner

Difference between EA and ED rocker gear?

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  EDFPV-6 
#1 ·
EA (series 1) 3.9L CFI

I'm considering picking up some ED rocker gear for the right price, and was wondering if it worth changing from the old EA gear? I have some ticking now and I am unsure of the condition of the ED gear but if it looks good then I might put it in. I am pretty sure the ED ones had thrust washers - which do what?

Just after some opinions..

Dan..

#2 ·
EA-EF series 1 all fit on. The EF's have hydraulic tappets which i found got rid of the ticking problem. Can get them from the wreckers for 100-400 depending on condition. Watch out you don't get the newer model ones cause they'll chew the shit out of your cam. You might be able to get EF cam and rocker gear together which will perk it up a little.

#6 ·
The EF serII and AU have larger cam lifts than the others, hence the rocker gear is different too. That's why it chewed your rockers up :)

If I was you Axeman, unless the ED stuff was *really* cheap, I'd just rebuild your own tappets.

Alex

#7 ·
mongrelEB said:
The EF serII and AU have larger cam lifts than the others, hence the rocker gear is different too. That's why it chewed your rockers up :)

If I was you Axeman, unless the ED stuff was *really* cheap, I'd just rebuild your own tappets.

Alex
Yeah its free... The gear dinga is offering for free in the Marketplace..

Dan..

#10 ·
the EA - ED are definetly interchange able so you wont have any problems. the only differences was early EA rocker gear didnt have shims in them so the side of the rocker would chew the post out making it sloppy. late EA had the shims. also the EA rockers have a large hole in the top of them with a circlip. EB - ED had a half centimeter hole in the top with no circlip.

#13 ·
so ef rocker gear will fit onto an ed head???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.