Ford Forums banner

New vs Old Windsor Dizzy

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  302xm 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if they changed the Distrubutor design. I am about to take delivery of a 68 302W for my ute and it has points which has to go. Can i fit a late model Electronic dizzy. I have noticed that late 80's early 90's mustang dizzys are breakerless and wont need a computer to run them and these are very cheap from the states.
Any ideas if they will fit??

cheers
mick

#2 ·
Sure will, I retrofitted a dizzy from i think about a 85 mustang windsor to my 302 windsor i had in my 66 stang.

The dizzy's are similar to the ones used on the eb - ef xr8 motors. (but do not have the electronic module integrated into the cap)

MSD make a product called Cap-adapt which is new cap, spacer, and rotor button. Makes the distributor look like a much more expensive electronic msd unit. Good idea to replace these items anyways.

I used a bosch electronic module to run with mine, same as the bosch replacement for a camira i think.

Hope the information helps you out

#4 ·
i like the look of the Pertronix stuff. makes it easier than trying to hunt down a dizzy from the states. any ideas where i can buy this stuff from. their web site has no info at all as to suppliers, which is a bit dumb.

also helpful to know that all dizzys are the same, have seen some real cheap ones on Ebay, problems is most wont ship them to australia.

#5 ·
Talk to a mustang parts supplier here. They deal with the US all the time, and are happy to ship items around the country. Shop around for the best deal though. If you want, I can chase up some US prices for comparison.

#6 ·
I had one mechanic (ford fan and mustang owner) tell me that the older dizzies don't fit the newer cars without modification. i was going to have to dump my coils if i wanted to fit the wolf3d system and have it work to it's best. He recommended the dizzy option so that he could get a clear system or something. I'm going from memory but he was on about the shaft lenth being different or somthing.?!?!?!?!?!?! i'm lost on dizzies but he sounds like he definetly know his windsors.

George May racing on the Sunshine Coast (Kunda Park). Hope it helps

G
#9 ·
I used crane xr700 which available from rocket vpw (i think) etc fits in stock dizzy in about 30 mins being carefull, use better coil ( i used lx91 crane), or u can go all out and use the same optical type pickup and run a crane hi-6,7,8 etc or MSD stuff (with associated gear) think xr700 kit retails for about $250, I agree points bounce best in the bin

#10 ·
EBXR said:
Hey Thunder Kiss - how much difference did the Ignitor II make??
I went from points to the Ignitor II module. The car seems to start much easier, run smoother and it obviously does away with the job of changing points all of the time. To be honest, i can't feel any difference in power, but to my way of thinking, anything that makes these old cars run better is worthwhile.

#12 ·
found a web site selling the Pertronix Ignitor II for $99US, they have the coils as well for $29.99US. they also do international orders. might have to see if anyone wants to buy one as well to save a bit on freight. found a couple of factory mustang dizzys on Ebay for $20.00, thinking about getting 1 of them.

Who is Gordon Cox, i2ayman?

#15 ·
Its not that the shaft is longer, 0n 351 its larger to take the 5/16" oil pump drive compared to the 1/4" drive on 302. The factory US windsor Electronic Durapsark ignition 1974-1985 distributor and module both the large cap or the early small cap both will fit, i just bought one 302 dizzy and 2 blue strain control modules (pre pollution) off ebay for $18 US(what a deal cost US$45 to Airmail post 4-10 days) .or plug it into a crane hi-6,7,or MSD 6 if you want. 1985 up distributors are the TFI type with module on side of distributor and are controled by the efi computer so are no good as they no vac/mech advance

#16 ·
302xm the shaft on the 351 is longer because of it's deck height 9.506 vs 8.206 for the 302. You can interchange distributors between 221 289 & 302 but because of the taller deck height of a 351 windsor distributor shaft is longer and will not fit a 302 block. Same goes for the 302 dizzy going into a 351.

#17 ·
I8AHSV 1.were both agree they won't interchange. 2. the deck height has nothing to do with the distributor length . look at the blocks, the extra deck height is above the distributor hole. the reason the 351w dizzy wont fit is the shaft below the gear has to fit into a hole in the block which is machined for what ever size motor it is ,so wont drop all the way in because of the smaller hole. but you can fit a 351w dizzy into a cleveland,429 or vice versa if you use the correct distributor gear.
But hey maybe im wrong but this is what i believe is correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.