Ford Forums banner

Spraying a car

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  fOrD mAn Xf 
#1 ·
Gday i own a 1972 XA GS Fairmont which current colour is copper bronze. I would like to spray it purple and silver. The silver would be around the wheels arches and on the base of the doors like on the GT's. Since im only 18 i cant afford to get it sprayed profesionally. So im thinking about doing it myself. Ive got a few questions on spraying a car.

How hard is it to get a good finish?

Will i be able to get a good shine using Arylic paint?

Can anyone tell me how to prep a car for spraying?

My dad has sprayed 2 cars in his time so he would be able to help me. The purple i would use is the new Phantom Purple on the new BA's and the silver would be Silver Fox that were on the XW's.

Thanks in advance Chris

#3 ·
acylic paint isnt the best....but it does the job, I have never sprayed an entire car, just sections/panels and a lot of the time the finish isnt the best until you cut and polish the section you resprayed....and because you are respraying a new colour on then its always difficult to get the best look, most people strip the old paint off, using paint stripper or getting it blasted, but be warned if you get it blasted, get it bead blasted, not sand blasted, the bead blast leaves a much better finish on the panels, oppossed to the sand blasting....

but as you said you havent got a money tree out the back, so I wouldnt bother with the paint strip....

just watch the over spray and you should be alright.

and before you spray, dont wash the car with any wax, as it stays behind, and when you spray, after a bit the paint will peel off.....

#5 ·
IIRC for metallic acrylics it is about $200/4L (depends on colours), and I'd recommend getting 8L for a beginner.

Primer about 60$ for 4L 6-8L should be enough unless you need to do alot of body work and end up painting and repainting etc.
Clearcoat about $100 for 4L, again get about 8L

and about $60-80 for a drum of thinners

#8 ·
when I got mine done, I did all the prep work myself, got the body work done and primed then rubbed it back myself, then got the guy to spray it with paint I brought, aslong as your spraying on to good body work it should be ok, or even if you get your dad or somone that knows how to spray to do it for you, but in the end there isnt anything better then a pro job, but yeah not all of us can afford it.

#9 ·
I love that XF Chad_XF, I remeber seing it in another thread, about xf's vs vl's etc. (xf's won the argument of course!) and I saw your site with the rebuild and shit...it looks sweet!! How much the paint all up cost?

I wish I could drive my xf, but I smashed the front of it yesterday, it was mint condition too, just finished detailing it last week too, all the panels were completely good, now I need a new front end....I need new drivers side front fender, new bonnet, new bumper and new raditor....anyone got a rough price on getting those second hand?

The annoying thing for me is that in three weeks I was going to start on the mods, such as extractors/sports exhaust, lumpier cam and higher diff/gear ratio + stall converter, now the money set aside for the mods has to go to fixing the front end!!!!!

#10 ·
You cannot get a good job with 2 pac unless you have sprayed before
and have a booth.
Since using acrylic, get a good brand not one from Peps or Repco.
It makes all the difference, even if you are a proffessional.
Glasurit is the best. Get this from a auto paint shop.
Spraypainters don't shop at Auto bahn.

The most important thing is take your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.