Ford Forums banner

XD Rust Hot Spots

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Trav 351 
#1 ·
Can you guys help me & mention some rust hot spots for an XD.
I know the bottom sills are on the list. Where else?

Cheers.
Trav.

#2 ·
Bottom front guards,under rear window,inside rear view mirror on door where foam holds moisture,Rear wheel arch's and bottom of boot/guard..All places where moisture, dirt collects..

#4 ·
top of fire wall basically under the rego sticker area but in the engine bay.
check the floor too as often the air inlet guards (that stop the water getting in) rust away letting water on the floor. this is the area that is in the bit with the wiper motors but right up at each corner. also the bottoms of the doors.

#6 ·
Remove the black plastic over your windscreen washers, and clean out any leaves and dirt in there. I put a piece of flyscreen underneath it to stop any thing big going in. I have used a rust inhibitor called Tectyl (sp?). I sprayed it into everything until it dripped out, and so far I have had no further problems with rust.
While your at it, you might want to check your front door hinges. Due to the size and weight of the doors they tend to crack near where the hinge welds on to the door. I reinforced mine by welding another piece inside the door.
http://www.fordgallery.com/showphot...ae40a8879948fedb9188ee3/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

#7 ·
I've definatly got some near the door hinges, in the boot, bottom door sills & must have a rusty hole in the wiper motor area. Everytime I wash the car or it rains, water drips from behind the dash on to the floor. Right where the fuses & all that is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.