Ford Forums banner

6Cyl V V8 Pedal Boxes

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  brenx 
#1 ·
What are the differences between XA 6 Cyl and V8 pedal boxes? Can a 6 cyl pedal box be used effectively in a V8 application?

I currently have a V8 pedal box that fails to fully return the clutch pedal after use, has anyone else had this problem, and what was the fix?

Clint

#2 ·
Clint said:
What are the differences between XA 6 Cyl and V8 pedal boxes? Can a 6 cyl pedal box be used effectively in a V8 application?

I currently have a V8 pedal box that fails to fully return the clutch pedal after use, has anyone else had this problem, and what was the fix?

Clint
I am aware that the V8 one uses a hydraulic clutch setup. Not sure whether a 6 cyl setup would use cable or hydraulic.

Other than that I'd guess the 6 and 8 actually pedal box would be the same.

On the pedal box there is supposed to be a big thick spring. It's quite common for these to loose their tension causing the pedal to not return correctly.

Brenden

#6 ·
all xe falcons and prior in V8 manual are hydraulic, 6 cyls are cable, excluding early falcons XA - B which are hydraulic and are interchangable 6cyl and V8..
XC to XF pedal boxes will all interchange.
all XF's are cable being 6cyl only.

#7 ·
There is one difference in the XA pedal box i have come across..It was a factory 302 + 4 speed toploader and it had a big spring on top to assist with the clutch apply i assume.Only prob was the clutch would sometimes stay on the floor...
Other than that they're all the same and hydraulic.

#8 ·
Yep, I have this type of pedal box ,with the spring, and have the problem of the clutch pedal not fully returning (I simply pull it back with the top of my foot, under the pedal), what if any are the solutions to this problem? I also have pedal boxes without the spring and am wondering if they can be used effectively in my Cleveland/top loader setup?

#10 ·
Try replacing the spring? It could just be weak...

#11 ·
I would assume the spring tension is a fine thing to balance given it's application, and without knowing the specs for it, I'd say will be hard to get right? Does anyone else have experience with this style of setup, or alternatively are many people using the non return sring style pedal box in a Cleveland/Top Loader setup to good effect, and whats style of clutch are you running if so?

Clint

#13 ·
Quite a few of us own older falcons but have purchased as a V8. Converting from a 6cyl auto -> V8 auto = easy.

6 cyl manual -> V8 manual = not so easy.

I am pretty sure the actual box is the same but their is a pedal difference. As the 6 cyl one is cable and the V8 one is hydraulic. The main difference would be where it connects to either the cable or clutch cylinder.

Brenden

#14 ·
I cant see if you'v mentioned if yours is cable or hydraulic, but XA to XD seem to be the same if v8, so you shouldnt be having troubles. I had a 351 XD that i changed to a toplaoder from a c4, and all i did was take out the short shaft which is for the auto, and put in a longer shaft and pedal from a V8 XB manual set up( i was too lazy to take out assembly when changing shaft, so had to put a hole through the aircon box to get shaft out and in). If your is hydraulic, just get another hydraulic pedal from anything XA,XB or XC. Make sure you put the little nylon bushes back in the pedals/shaft.

#15 ·
Just one thing, when I swapped the 6 for an 8 in my car the acclerator linkages were different.
The car in an auto, but you might find a similar problem. The linkages went down the drivers side of the six and the passengers side in the v8.

But this was for an XB, but i got the accelerator pedal linkages out of an Xa.

Check and see I guess.

Simon

#16 ·
Still chasing info on the "spring assisted" Clutch pedal? Has anyone ever installed a non spring assisted pedal into an XA with a V8, without dramas?

For those who've asked above, the car is a factory V8 Clevelend with Top Loader, and yes, the clutch is originally a hydraulic setup, and to confirm again, it's not a 6cyl to V8 conversion, but rather a problem with the original clutch setup in my V8 Falcon that I am chasing a remedy too?

#17 ·
The clutch pedal assemblies the same in XA-XC V8's. My mate just added another spring and it solved his issues.

Problem is the springs go weak. You can't buy a replacement. They don't make them anymore.

Brenden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.