Ford Forums banner

Plug Leads

4K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
Just wondering what brand of plug leads everyone is using?

#9 ·
ive got 9mm ford racing, brought them today.. $110

#13 ·
Just bought Magnecore 8mm for the TE50 - $220 custom made with ends to suit the headers for clearance. Quite a bit cheaper than $800 for the std Ford ones.

ICE for the ESP. Been on a few years with no problems

#14 ·
shaynet said:
Just bought Magnecore 8mm for the TE50 - $220 custom made with ends to suit the headers for clearance. Quite a bit cheaper than $800 for the std Ford ones.
I fitted exactly the same leads and the egine seemed to become much more throttle responsive... could have just been me? Anyway, I'd buy them again - worth every cent I believe.

And you're right, Ford's prices for the std carbon core Motocraft leads is just ridiculous (especially as the Magnecores are spiral core).

#15 ·
AUGhiaV8 said:
I fitted exactly the same leads and the egine seemed to become much more throttle responsive... could have just been me? Anyway, I'd buy them again - worth every cent I believe.
I'm sure my car is making more power with these leads. Will know for sure soon as its going back on the dyno and will report back here

#17 ·
We (my friend) have tested our 10.5mm and 11mm Top gun race series leads,
and when we changed to MSD series leads (which are smaller) he got another 5-10hp at the fly.
You get what you pay for, but with a stock-mildly modified engine you could not justify the cost.
There is definetely power with good leads.

#19 ·
For nearly all standard slightly modified engines 8mm is as big as you need, 10mm if you really think you should (V8 mostly), but anything bigger is just wasting money in simple terms.

There was really good street machine article I read on it once, and that was the bottom line from it.

I use Top Gun 8mm leads.

Jason

#21 ·
Yeah Ive just got the Champion leads, 8mm spiral core I believe.

I would certainly agree with Dellboy and Shav, unless you're running a performance ignition system there's little to be gained using 10mm, 11mm leads. If you're lucky there may be a few extra thousand k's in them before they need replacement. Thicker leads probably also likely to have better insulation, for what it's worth.

#23 ·
shaynet said:

where did you get these made as i rang top gun and they only make 8mm ones of the au, and i need/want 10mm

#24 ·
where did you get these made as i rang top gun and they only make 8mm ones of the au, and i need/want 10mm[/QUOTE]
Thundercords in Granville Sydney Ph 02 9897 3777 are the NSW agent but from memory there is a Qld agent in Brissy. Can't find the web site.

I took my car to them and they put either 45 or 90 degree ends to suit the space around each plug.

They also have an 8.5mm & 10mm leads which are a fair bit more expensive but the guy told me I wouldn't make any more power with the 8.5's and it would also be harder to get them into the std lead carriers

#26 ·
In most cases the core is the same..It's the insulation that makes them bigger....

Eagle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.