Ford Forums banner

Tyre pressures?

6K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  XR_Strider_GuY 
#1 ·
What pressures does everyone run in their BAs?

I suppose when you answer you should say what wheel sizes and if its a V8 or 6 coz of the different engine weights etc.

I got XT 6 with 17" and Im currently running 37psi front 40 rear.
Feels good

#2 ·
I use to run 45psi on the front and rear of my BA XR8 ute, but would loose the ass end on gear changes and around corners too easily. So now I run 45 on the front and 38 on the rears. Seems okay. For some reason the dealer put 50psi on front and rears when I first took delivery!! Oh..and mine are the 17s

#7 ·
I notice a lot run harder front then back.. I have always run harder rears.
Is there a science to this?

#8 ·
i run 33-5 on my tyres on the XE Ghia, 15's...... ??? seems fine to me.... i mgiht go a bit more pressure now

#9 ·
NOBOUNDARIES said:
wow, 36 front, and 36 back with nitrogen in my BA XR8 sedan (17"). I have run these pressures for 10 months, and the tyres are wearing perfectly, no sign of over or under inflation wear. Actually surprised considering they are also Dunlops
THERE SP 3000 Dunlop’s and I am I real fan of these tyres there Australian made and you well get plenty of klm's out of them i just got a set of 19's and now I realize how good of grip and wear the sp 3000's are, last Friday at Calder Big Mick launched his XR6 T off the line with these tyres ran 12.5 @ 113 MPH..NO WHEEL SPIN...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

#10 ·
demo king said:
If you load up your ute you would want to add more pressure. I have an XR6T and run 38 both ends.
Listen to :bowd: ^^this man^^ he knows his business.

XR8 Ute between 40-42 both ends. Have run lower at the rear but tend to carry stuff so keep it up. 17" SP3000a's, 20,000+K's and wearing very evenly.

#11 ·
Most of your are running way too high
30-36 front
26-30 rear unloaded
30-36 rear loaded (in the case of utes fully loaded coug go close to the tyres max pressure see side wall of tyre)

Unloaded the fronts shoud be a couple of psi higher

And at the strip can go as low as 16 psi for max grip

#12 ·
jemmex said:
I notice a lot run harder front then back.. I have always run harder rears.
Is there a science to this?

AJUSTMENT.................To Increase Understeer...........To Increase Oversteer

Front tyre pressure................Lower..................................Higher
Rear tyre pressure.................Higher..................................Lower

Front tyre section..................Smaller.................................Larger
Rear tyre section...................Larger.................................Smaller

Front Wheel Camber................More Positive....................More Negative
Rear Wheel Camber................More Negitive.....................More Positive

#13 ·
sbeaugs said:
Most of your are running way too high
30-36 front
26-30 rear unloaded
30-36 rear loaded (in the case of utes fully loaded coug go close to the tyres max pressure see side wall of tyre)

Unloaded the fronts shoud be a couple of psi higher

And at the strip can go as low as 16 psi for max grip
Got to agree with you there. Pressures up in the high 30s- low 40's are way too high. After a bit of spirited drivind you could be pushing upwards of 50psi :AAHHH:
I only run my EL XR6 with 34 front and 32 rear. It allows for the tyres to have a bit of give and get some grip. After racing cars for years, you always start off slightly lower than what you want to acheive

#14 ·
jemmex said:
What pressures does everyone run in their BAs?

I suppose when you answer you should say what wheel sizes and if its a V8 or 6 coz of the different engine weights etc.

I got XT 6 with 17" and Im currently running 37psi front 40 rear.
Feels good
For those with XR6's running the standard 17s, front and rear should be a minimum 36psi. A technical notice has been published by Dunlop (for the 3000A's) which quote that early XR6 BA models suffered pre-mature tyre wear due to them using the Ford recommended (ie..around 30-32psi).

I therefore run mine (front & reare) at 36psi.

PS - how many of you know that if premature tyre wear occurs, Ford will foot the bill for a new pair. I know a buearepairs rep that does it for a Ford dealer.

#19 ·
i used to run the XF at 32 fronts and 34 backs.... once had a dodgy tyre air filler thing and in a blonde moment didnt realise how much air was pumped in (it was 4am!!) and after a quick trip over the blue mountains stopped in lithgow to find 50+ all round, my brother refused to drive cause of how taily the thing was. I wouldnt be running mine over probably 36, but thats just me, each to there own i guess

#20 ·
mtpanorama said:
Got to agree with you there. Pressures up in the high 30s- low 40's are way too high. After a bit of spirited drivind you could be pushing upwards of 50psi :AAHHH:
I only run my EL XR6 with 34 front and 32 rear. It allows for the tyres to have a bit of give and get some grip. After racing cars for years, you always start off slightly lower than what you want to acheive
If you start with a higher tyre pressure you will not get as much heat build up while driving compared with lower starting pressures, eg. if you start at 30psi then travel 100km up the hwy your pressures may increase to approx 36psi as opposed to strting on 36 you may find pressures up to 38psi, a variance of only 2 psi compared to 6psi.

Certain race type tyres need to be ran with lower pressures to start as they are designed differently and extra heat build up is good. Road tyres are built to provide grip from the treat, they do not increase grip with heat as a race tyre will.

mtpanorama, having some 'give' will allow your tyre to roll off the rim. While you may have had a comfortable ride, you will have a dulled feedback and poor handling.

DEMO KING

#21 ·
Good question

At the GT driver training they instruct everyone to have a mi nimum of 40psi on the track as otherwise you can strip the tread off the tyrewall in hard cornering.

#22 ·
demo king said:
mtpanorama, having some 'give' will allow your tyre to roll off the rim. While you may have had a comfortable ride, you will have a dulled feedback and poor handling.

DEMO KING
I dont have "dulled feedback or poor handling". It is a nice ride at those pressures. It is a road car after all. if i want to drive around on rock hard tyres and have my teeth rattled out i will go and drive the race car.

#23 ·
When I bought the AUII XR6 it noticed that it used to pull to the right all the time. Annoyed me no end.

I upped the tyre pressure from standard to 38 psi and it drove like a dream. I sold the car with 27000kms on the clock and the tyres still looked good with no scrubbing on the sides of the tread.

I now run my XR6T with 18"s at 38 psi both ends as well without a drama. Both cars are driving pretty hard.

#25 ·
mtpanorama said:
I dont have "dulled feedback or poor handling". It is a nice ride at those pressures. It is a road car after all. if i want to drive around on rock hard tyres and have my teeth rattled out i will go and drive the race car.
mtpanorama,
You were talking about a bit of spirited driving in your first post but now you say you will use your race car for that. Most other people posting here dont have a race car and they use their car for spirited driving.

All I am saying is that higher is better and the only real downside may be a slightly rougher ride which in most cases is not that noticable as modern cars have many new materials for bushings etc. You cannot even notice any ride difference in the BA Falcon but you can feel the benefits of better handling. You will also have better fuel economy on the hwy along with better tyre wear.

For those who have not decided on tyre pressures, go higher, 38psi.

DEMO KING

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.