Ford Forums banner

The good oil

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  davo71 
#1 ·
G'day all,

Just wanted to let all who are interested know what the good oil is about oil.

Since owning my XG ute (Dual Fuel) (only one month total) I have changed the oil/filter 7 times until I found the best combination.
Excessive I know, but I always used Penrite in the past but wanted to try different type just to see what the hype was about.

Change 1 = Penrite HPRGAS (20w60) - Ryco filter (Big mistake, noisy lifters/bottom end)
Change 2 = Penziol (20w50) - Silverline filter (Noisy lifters on startup, noisy rockers, no bottom end noise)
Change 3 = Penrite HPR15 (15w60) - Repco filter (4 second lifter noise, but noisy bottom end when hot)
Change 4 = Mobil Synth S (10w40) - Repco filter (2 second lifter noise, good power, just too thin)
Change 5 = Penrite HPR40 (25w70) - Ryco filter (Glue, only in car for 10 minutes, dont use unless motor is stuffed)
Change 6 = Multiblend (20w50) - Ryco filter (5 second lifter noise, some crank oil splashing, slow power pickup, not worth the few bucks saved)

Final change and the winner is
Change 7 = Shell Helix Plus (15w50) - Motorcraft filter (1 second lifter noise, quiet bottom end, good power, quiet engine)

Thats my 2 cents and $250 dollar experiment.
Eat your heart out John Laws...

See less See more
#2 ·
lol great work mate.

i go for castrol GTX III and an AC Delco filter - it costs me $3.30 and 30 minutes to do a service :s6:

how many km on the ute?

#3 ·
Bah, I chucked Helix in mine last oil change and Helix Plus in the VT last week, what a waste.

Ahh well, I've only got another month or so left til I need a new change.

#7 ·
Davo71, how much did the motorcraft filter cost, and did you just get that from a ford dealer? I'm happy with your results because I'm running Shell Helix Plus, but using a Ryco filter. I dont think I'm getting any lifter noise at all, but I might as well try the motorcraft filter next change.

#9 ·
I guess oils is oils, I used Penrite in my Cleveland since the very first second of startup, including the running in oil. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Oil pressure at new (read recond. engine) was 100psi @ startup, and 90 psi running. This eventualy dropped back to 100psi startup, and 70 psi running and 50 psi @ idle, and this was after 200,000kms plus, with oil changes every 3 months, regardless of diastance travelled.(on average 5,000 kms). I tend to think that the adage: "fresh oil is important" is absolutely correct. I swear by, and still use in ALL my vehicles, Penrite. The vehicles are: Ford Laser KJ2, EF (GLI) on gas, EL fairmont on gas, and a GPz900R motorcycle, in which I run HPR 15, and a Subaru RX. Each one gets a change every 3 months, regardless of distance. I must confess that not all the above vehicles are mine. Some are my son's, and my wife's.

Overall, what I am trying to say is: that preventative maintenance is the key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.