Ford Forums banner

Rough Idle On Ef

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Quicklier 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what may be wrong with my ef. The idle is surging 90% of the time and is worse with air con on and/or if it is in gear(auto). There are no other problems while driving only when stationary. I have a stage 2 crow cam with vernier gear set that were fitted about 12 months ago. These caused some mild surging however it has got progresively worse to the point that it almost stalls. So far I have only swapped the idle control switch that is bolted on the throttle body but if anything made it worse so I put the original back on. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.

#3 ·
Vacuum leak would usually make the car idle high rather than nearly stall. Have you tried adjusting base idle - was the ICS that you put on brand new? If it was from a wrecked car then it could need cleaning.

#7 ·
Firstly, Clean the ISC (see fordmods.com).
Still no good? Do the check for air leaks.
You'll need a can of butane(?) or was it Meathane... I think its the latter.
You then spray it around the inlet (whilst car is idling). If the car suddenly idles clean and smooth again, then rough... you know some extra air is getting in around the inlet gastket.

Mine died about 8 months ago. Its a fun job to replace, the bolts up the back underneath can go f themselves!

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.