Ford Forums banner

bush installation?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  weeman 
#1 ·
Looks like I need to change some bushes for the diff to go in, what's the deal with doing them? I heard I'll need a vice at the least? What about G clamps (haha, things are starting to get dodgey now)?

It's for the lower rear trailing arms btw, I have to put EA ones in. If they are in alright nick can I just leave the bushes in and swap the arms (told you it was dodgey)?

#2 ·
The Trailing arm bushes are the hardest bushes to remove. I tried with a vice and large g-clamps, but couldn't get them to budge.

Ended up taking the arms into pedder's. They started off by trying to press them out with a bench press but that started to bend and the bushes still hadn't moved. They ended up having to burn the bushes out!

#3 ·
Thing with the bushes is there's a metal rim on the outside, and around the bolt in the middle.
You can try using a bloody great hammer an a big socket, or you can cut/burn away the rubber and then use a hacksaw to cut the outer ring away.
The new bush will be a little easier to get in, but it's still quite likely you'll end up taking it to somebody with a press to finish the job.

#5 ·
i got pedders to press out old bushes and put in new nolathane ones (i supplied them) in my lower control arms in my XF last thursday and they only charged me $20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.