Ford Forums banner

EF Fairmont conversion

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  RaceCraft 
#1 ·
Can I install a five speed into my EF Fairmont? I would assume yes, but will I have to use the computer from a manual and will it effect the climate control air and trip computer/DTE or can the standard computer be modified. Will all the manual parts from an AU (including the computer if its needed) or even an EB or EA fit without being modified? Did an EF or EL fairmont or Ghia ever get released with a manual? Thanks for any info you can give me.

#3 ·
if you're going to isntall a manual and you deffinately want a 5 speed computer, you have to get one from an EF.
ea-ed, EL ones won't work due to pin configurations being way different.

#5 ·
but 5sp ecus stuff up high series bem's so in that case he doesnt want one

#6 ·
does anyone know of anyone whos put a 5 speed in their EF/EL fairmont and had BEM issues?
The only one i can think of is fordfan351, and his was far from just a 5 speed conversion.

#8 ·
well... that car went from an auto I6 to a manual V8.
i can see plenty of room for error with an unknown conversion like that :)

#9 ·
John

I personally have not come across any reason as to why a ECU change will cause an issue with BCM. The only drama I have to cross is the Speed sensitive steering thing.....however if Karl can prove his resistor mod actually works, I'll go with that.

#11 ·
not including the computer problems and differences can I use the gearbox and pedals and other bits and pieces from an AU or will I have to stick to EF parts. I have seen one EF fairmont with a manual conversion (at the shops) but I have no idea if all the electrical things work properly. Does the engine computer have anything to do with the climate control and other fairmont electrics?

#12 ·
Fairmont electrics are conntrolled by the BEM, nothing to do with the ECU.
as said above, it seems the only issue is the speed sensitive steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.