Ford Forums banner

sqeeky brakes??

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  cybervampyre 
#1 ·
i own a 95 ford probe se. everytime i slighty apply the brakes they squeak, then when i apply more pressure they dont sqeak, then i apply even more and they sqeak again. i checked my front brakes and the pads are good. i tried to check the back drum brakes but the cap that is held in by 2 screws would not come out....well, i took it in and have the back shoes changed and they said they had to machine the drums, costing 120.00, is that right?? any input would be appreciated........thanx

#2 ·
my front brakes do the same thing... my pads and rotors are fine... and sometimes the squeaking stops for weeks at a time... and water makes it go away too...

I just ignore it... If I had to guess what the problem was, I would say that the anti rattle clips, or the brake pad mounts are misaligned slightly... oh well, no big deal. :darin:

#3 ·
ProbeGT-R said:
oh well, no big deal. :darin:
hehe...I hate it when I do that too....

If you didn't put some of that anti-rattle stuff on the back of your pads when you put em on, that's probably a big part of it. I didn't put it on my new rear pads, and they scream lake a Banshee. I'm just too lazy to tear them back off and put teh squeal goo on.

#4 ·
ProbeGT-R said:
I would say that the anti rattle clips, or the brake pad mounts are misaligned slightly...
I would have to agree that the clips may be at fault. Check them and align or replace them or they could groove the rotor.

I'm not familiar with drum brakes but if they want that much to turn it, perhaps you should upgrade to rotors.:s5

#5 ·
Yep... Clips.... When I put on my Brembos, at first I didnt align the clips properly... they did exactly what you described.... took the whole thing off, put it back on, made sure it was aligned... problem solved.

#6 ·
ideally, you should machine your rotors or drums every time you change your brakes. In san diego, you can have a rotor or drum machined at pep boys for 6.00 if you walk in with it.

It takes me less than an hour to take both sides off and drive down to pep boys and drop them off. then i go have a burger at jack in the box, pick up my rotors, slap them back in and it only costs me 12.00.

Flat rate books charge one hour of labor for a drum or rotor machining when it is still on the car, so expect it to run you about 60-68 per side if you have them take it off of thecar for you.

#7 ·
The only thing about that anti squeel grease is that you really should re-apply it every few months. It works well, but for me the good stuff only lasts about a month and a half, then I need to re-apply :shrug: And all my clips are new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.