Ford Forums banner

Belt Squeaking/Chirping Noise

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  uterozbert 
G
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Mustang (V-6 with 58,000 miles) and recently started hearing a squeaking/chirping noise coming from the belt area. It sounded like the water pump pulley so we replaced the water pump. That didn't fix it. Then we thought it was the tensioner pulley, replaced the entire tensioner, that didn't fix it. We then replaced the idler pulley, that wasn't it. We replaced the belt itself, no luck. We started the car without the belt on -- no noise. With a stethascope, the sound seems to be coming from the water pump area but since we put a new water pump on, we don't think that's the problem. Anyone have any clues as to what it could be? It is very loud and people are staring at me at stop lights. Plus, I'm tired of replacing parts that aren't broken. Any leads, additional information, or websites I should look at would help greatly. Thanks.

#2 ·
I have the same problem on my wife's 99 V6 Coupe. Only when it's cold though. On the other hand my 2.3 Ranger squeaks all the time except when raining. Figure that out. Like you, I have checked everything with no satisfactory results. So for both of us, HEEEEELLLLLLPPPP!
TH

G
#3 ·
I got it fixed!!!!!

Hi! Thanks for your post. Because the noise was getting worse, we once again tried starting it without the belt and found that it WAS still making the squeaking noise WITHOUT the belt. Nice to know $200 later! So at that point, we finally gave up and took my car in to the dealer. I just got it back and a wonderful Ford mechanic (a childhood friend of my brother-in-law) fixed the problem. Turns out it was the Cam Shaft Synchronizer that was squeaking so badly. The guy gave us the old synchronizer and we could hear the squeak just by hand-turning it! The mechanic said he's only seen that happen one other time on a mustang. Cost about $330.00 to have Ford fix it ($140 for the part, the rest is labor of course). They replaced the sensor that goes with it too. Let me tell you.... We would have NEVER figured that one out! It purrs like a kitten once again!!! Take the belt off and start the car. If you still get the annoying noise, it's very possible that it's the Cam Shaft Synchronizer.

#5 ·
Even though you found the problem with your engine I'd like to suggest that others take a GOOD look at the belt tensioner. Remove the belt and then remove the pulley.

The bearing in the pulley will run out of lube and finally burn up. As this is in the process the center hub of the pully spins on the aluminum tensioning arm wearing away the boss cast into the arm to center the pulley. Quite common on the older Mustang 5.0's and replacement assemblies are about $120 discount at this time.

And NO, they will not sell the pulley seperate. Changing pulleys does not resotre the material worn away from the aluminum boss.

From what I've read just this morning it seems that the 99 V-6's are experiencing this problem sooner then the 5.0's. My pulley fried after 175,000 miles (18 years of everyday driving).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.