Ford Forums banner

xa gt dash

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  benXaGt 
#1 ·
hi all

ive just installed a gt dash in my car and there is no dash lights at all.

high beam light is working in dash(little blue light in centre)

Indicator lights work on dash

The speedo is working the rpm gauge isnt

The volt gauge and the oil gauge are working but the fuel and the temp gauge are not working

is there a seperate fuse for internal lights? the roof light works with the dimmer switch

any help would be appriciated

#2 ·
Just check all your fuses - there is a fuse for the lights.

Dash light wires are a red/blue colour.

RPM would be a pink/light blue wire. Make sure it's connected to the back of the dash. Goes to the NEGATIVE on the coil.

Fuel: check wires on your fuel tank sender (should be able to access through boot floor) and check connections in back of dash. Your sender could be faulty also. I hat fixing these ones.

Temp: red/white wire (don't confuse with the oil, white/pink). Again, ensure connected to back of dash and wire goes all the way to sender in your block. It will be just in front of where your thermostat housing is. A small round brass object about 2cm in diameter. The wire simply clips to the front of this.

Happy hunting!

#3 ·
trueblue351
Fuel: check wires on your fuel tank sender (should be able to access through boot floor) and check connections in back of dash. Your sender could be faulty also. I hat fixing these ones.

Temp: red/white wire (don't confuse with the oil, white/pink). Again, ensure connected to back of dash and wire goes all the way to sender in your block. It will be just in front of where your thermostat housing is. A small round brass object about 2cm in diameter. The wire simply clips to the front of this.

1)the fuel gauge didnt work before i changed the dash so i new i needed a sender

2)the temp gauge isnt the sender near the back of the block behind the carby its a yellow wire?

I havent checked the fuses yet. i had a sparky out and said the fuses were fine the other week he fixed my driving lights and reverse signals

i tried fixing the connections this afternoon and i got the oil gauge and the volt gauge working. while driving home tonight i notice the interior dimmer switch would not turn the light on but it worked when i opened the doors. Also the windscreen wipers have stoped working

ahhhhh fix 2 things break 2 things it never stops!!!!!!!!

#4 ·
ok now i fixed the windscreen wipers it was a fuse.

i also fixed the dimmers.

Now the problem i have is the dash lights dont work.

i pulled the side dash cover off to suss out the back of the dimmer switch and light switch and noticed 2 wires not connected to any thing one is a yellow green wire (Earth) and the other is blue wire same as light bulb wire.

When i bridged these 2 together all the dash lights turned on so i think they do clip into somthing in the back of th dimmer switch and headlight switch

Can any one tell me were they clip into?

#5 ·
The oil pressure sender is at the back/top of the block behind the carby. Is a small round cyclinder about 5cm diameter and a single wire clips to the top of it. Normally its a white & pink wire.

NOTE: the wires on second hand cars have sometimes been changed around. ie: the colours don't match the ones in the work manual due to people (like me!!) re-wiring things.

Aahaaa!: the GREEN & YELLOW WIRE!! Well there's your fuel gauge problem!

Fuel sender has 3 wires going to it.
1. RED: a 12 volt power source.
2. BLACK: goes to earth.
3. GREEN & YELLOW: goes to fuel gauge in dash.

Do you have a multi-meter? Can buy cheap digital ones for about $15-20. That way you can find out which wires have 12v on them. Just hook up the red lead to the wire you want and put the black lead on any metal part of the car attached to the chassis.

Look for a light blue/red wire from the back of the light switch. This is your dash lights wire. If it has 12v on it, then connect this to the blue wire that you had working before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.