Ford Forums banner

vernier gear

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  galapogos01 
#1 ·
Got my Gear ordered today for $110 bucks :>
Do you need to breaak the chain and fit a joiner link into it ?? to get the gear on

#9 ·
changes when the valves open :p
allows finer adjustments and ability to acheive max power for the cam.

#10 ·
Advancing or retarding the cams position moves the power band. If you advance the cam by 4 degrees you roughly move the power down 200rpm, so you will have more low down power but less peak power. Retading the cam has the opposite affect, so this allows you to finely tune your cam to get the best results for your engine, gearing etc.

#11 ·
Oh okay, gotcha. So if one wanted more power sooner they would advance the timing but this would lose some top end?

BTW, how much (degrees) can you change the timing? Does it affect any other things (ie. fuel consumption, idle etc)?

#12 ·
XRated said:
Oh okay, gotcha. So if one wanted more power sooner they would advance the timing but this would lose some top end?

BTW, how much (degrees) can you change the timing? Does it affect any other things (ie. fuel consumption, idle etc)?
Correct, advance the timing gives more power sooner at the expense of top end power. Souldn't have too much affect on fuel or idle. Don't know how much you can technically move the timing, most seem to go 2 or 4 degrees either way.

#14 ·
Whoever said a vernier is no good with the stock cam?? I'm sure I read somewhere that EAs have pretty big cams (bigger than eb-el), and with a little adjustment can give nice top-end power.. You should read that "Cams, what to get?" thread.. very informative :)

#15 ·
yeh the reason i asked was that im in the same position as XRated, just after osme extra info and stuff. coz ive heard a few people say that advancing the cam timing by one tooth wood give u some decent low end power back. but now im told that i shood get a vernier gear first.

just out of interest how much degrees wood one tooth equate to? and how much top end wood u lose?

#16 ·
You need to get a vernier gear because 1 tooth on the sprocket will be far too much.
You really only want to move the cam about 2deg at a time, with 6deg either way from the original position being about as much as you'd want to go without knowing your piston to valve clearances.

Dialing in a cam without knowing it's specs is a very hit and miss affair unless you can spend a couple hours on a dyno to find the best curve.
You will only get very small gains (if any) with a standard cam, but it certainly can't hurt to try.

Rick.

#18 ·
INJECTED250 said:
Got my Gear ordered today for $110 bucks :>

where did you order the gear from if you dont mind my asking?

the reason that I ask is because when i fitted my 1004@112 to my EA, i noticed a big difference in power. with the EF, the difference was a lot less noticable. im thinking i may need to fiddle with the timing...? ill need a dial indicator for this, and a clue on how to use one - will i find it very hard?

Jase

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.