Ford Forums banner

Oh No....Rust!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kingy 
#1 ·
Was a nice day today so I thought I'd give the car a good wash/polish. All was going well when lo and behold I saw some rust bubbles just underneath the driver's door. :AAHHH:

I would post some pics, but I am lacking a digital camera. What's the process in fixing it, it doesn't look too bad IMO, just a few bubbles. If I can fix it myself that'd be great - but depends on how hard it'll be to fix (lacking in the money dept right now :fraz: ). I'll see if I can get some pics up.

#3 ·
GhiaEB said:
If its only a few bubble panel beaters wont charge much to fix it.... take it to a few shops and get a couple of quotes and then decide if you wana give it ago or let a pro have a go.
I'd prefer to give it a go myself. If it's not too hard, I'd prefer to learn how to do it and save a few bucks in the process. The car will only go to a panel beater when I've got the cash to respray the boot, bonnet, both bumpers etc...

My brother's got a mate who's a panel beating apprentice, I'm sure he'd give me a hand for adequate compensation (how much for a slab of jimmy cans?). I'd just like to know the process for fixing it before I have a chat to him.

#4 ·
Give it a go if it's only minor - at worst you could get a panel beater to fix up your mistakes later. :p

I bought a spray painting guide from Super Cheap or similar which included all the tips and tricks. I'd recommend one, or hell you could borrow mine if you want.

#5 ·
the problem is, if theres bubbles on the outside, chances are teh cancer is a fair sized area under the paint. , it might only have a few bubbles but it could be as bad as having to replace the whole sill.....

my fairlane's got a bit of rust in the right rear dogleg, gonna have to get teh whole bit of metal below teh side trim replaces, is the easiest way IMO.. i was "lucky" a month after i got the car, the left dogleg was almost gone, and some thoughtfull soul decided to T bone the car.......damn camry owners. result. 1 writen off camry, 1 rust repaired fairlane for cheaper than i was quoted to fix it ( gotta love insurance companies and ins excess)

#6 ·
i fixed rust on my old car with out many dramas
,i just sanded it off and sanded off the surrounding area to check for more rust,then i used rust converter, bogged it up, and painted it
but seeing yours is poly green you'll have to get a spray pack made up at autobarn or somewhere but i'd recomend using a comperssor, it'll turn out better than a spray pack, and gives you the chance to spray the whole sill so it don't look like a home job

would be about a weekends job afik

#7 ·
mad_ea_spac said:
i fixed rust on my old car with out many dramas
,i just sanded it off and sanded off the surrounding area to check for more rust,then i used rust converter, bogged it up, and painted it
Rather than bogging it up etc, It'd be better to weld some metal and then spray over, would it?? Did you use any rust protector stuff when you sprayed it?

#8 ·
nah i just put a s*** load of rust protector on it and it lasted
if you want you can try welding and stuff like that but i'd just use bog cause the bubbles can't possibly be that big you'd need to change a whole bit of the metal

#9 ·
I had a bit in the a pillar just where the door seal sits on the passenger side. Got the ole prodder/nail punch, al little force and it went right through. I though, crap this is costly, but the panel beaters cut it out, welded in a new peice of steel about 10*5cm, coated with rust treatment so it wouldn't happen again, resprayed orriginal colour, all for 100 bucks.

#10 ·
donno said:
I had a bit in the a pillar just where the door seal sits on the passenger side. Got the ole prodder/nail punch, al little force and it went right through. I though, crap this is costly, but the panel beaters cut it out, welded in a new peice of steel about 10*5cm, coated with rust treatment so it wouldn't happen again, resprayed orriginal colour, all for 100 bucks.
100 bucks?? I'd be happy to pay 200-250 to get it fixed properly. Ok, I'm off to get some quotes tomorrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.