Ford Forums banner

Holden add promotes unsafe practice

4K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  falcon coupe 
#1 ·
Just wondered if anyone else out there thought the new crumple door add was a little irresponsible.
It not only infers that the driver can adequately hit great speeds and acceleration in the car but shows the driver putting it through it's paces with passengers in the car namely one toddler in a child seat.
As if that wasn't bad enough but the child is in statistically the most dangerous spot in the car for an accident. They say that wherever possible child seats should always be placed behind the front seats.

So how picky is that?

#2 ·
It's hard to know what to think about that. I love cars of all kinds so I don't mind ads showing cars being put through their paces regardless of what badge it wears, but the bit about the toddler might be a concern.

#3 ·
I say that it should be left alone. It does not show or infere any unsafe practices and if all the PCA wankers have there way we'll all be driving rubber bikes at 5kph with instant execution for 1kph over. I dont care if its Ford, Holden or whatever, I consider myself, and everyone I know, to be far more intelligent than to go and do some stupid stunt in real life driving because I saw it on an ad.

#5 ·
Steve said:
Perhaps the message is that the car has both power and safety?
Then ASIC should get onto them and they should be done for false advertising :wnc: :zzz: Judging from what I have read they are just another revamp of the same crap with an engine that might be new, but there ain't nobody raving about it, huge advert spread in the Motor mag and yet they still reckoned the n/a XR6 was a better car. New Dunnydore, just another massed produced rep mobile IMHO. I'm off to Bris in Oct and no doubt Avis will have one waiting, then I will be able to report in a non biased fashion :AAHHH: :wnc: (NEVER) Doesn't SV stand for "Special Victim" :fly:

#6 ·
Hypnodoc said:
Then ASIC should get onto them and they should be done for false advertising :wnc: :zzz: Judging from what I have read they are just another revamp of the same crap with an engine that might be new, but there ain't nobody raving about it, huge advert spread in the Motor mag and yet they still reckoned the n/a XR6 was a better car. New Dunnydore, just another massed produced rep mobile IMHO. I'm off to Bris in Oct and no doubt Avis will have one waiting, then I will be able to report in a non biased fashion :AAHHH: :wnc: (NEVER) Doesn't SV stand for "Special Victim" :fly:
I wouldn't go on anything Motor or Wheels have to offer on a car there a bit biased sometimes.Best way to judge a car go out to a rental place and take it out for a spin yourself.
Cheers Alex.

#7 ·
paulhowes said:
Just wondered if anyone else out there thought the new crumple door add was a little irresponsible.
It not only infers that the driver can adequately hit great speeds and acceleration in the car but shows the driver putting it through it's paces with passengers in the car namely one toddler in a child seat.
As if that wasn't bad enough but the child is in statistically the most dangerous spot in the car for an accident. They say that wherever possible child seats should always be placed behind the front seats.

So how picky is that?
i was wondering about this very thing when watching the add actually

not that it was irresponsible or would cause people to go out and do it, but more the fact of how inconsistent the policing of this is

at one stage they were removing ads because stupidly they think that it will make people go out and drive recklessly and then an ad like this is fine??

apparently they just removed the magna ad from TV because knuckleheads thought that seeing a group of cars fanging around on a dirt road would make people go out and do it in the streets, surely this is no different?

remove them all or leave them all, dont just remove some and leave others

#8 ·
I just laughed my head off, for a car company supposed to be so far ahead of Ford in the marketing/advertising game that was weak as. The kid would have to take the cheesy grin of the year award and I found myself trying to figure out if he was "computer enhanced" rather than listening about the car.
P.S. Am I the only one who thinks the front end is a step backwards, I never thought I'd say it but I prefer VY front end.

#10 ·
It doesn't worry me in the slightest. As a responsible adult (most of the time) I'm bright enough to know the difference between fact and fiction. I knew that a XR8 isn't going to pass a land speed record car on a salt flat.

It's only an ad.

#12 ·
Yer it just a silly ad. Let face it they are trying to sell the all new Mazda front, Magna rear with a Ford colour. So how do you sell a car with everyone bits on it. If the kid thinks that the Dunnydore fun to ride in well he has been it a Ford yet. He would than have somthing to cheer about.

#13 ·
If that advertisement is irresponsible they should simply bring in a code where car ads must have a car standing still. Come on, get a life mate. I think it's more than okay.

AP>

#14 ·
Jamie XR6 said:
It doesn't worry me in the slightest. As a responsible adult (most of the time) I'm bright enough to know the difference between fact and fiction. I knew that a XR8 isn't going to pass a land speed record car on a salt flat.

It's only an ad.

Oh darn, now you've gone and done it! I can never watch that ad with the same enthusiasm again.

#15 ·
Aussie Pete said:
If that advertisement is irresponsible they should simply bring in a code where car ads must have a car standing still. Come on, get a life mate. I think it's more than okay.

AP>
The post clearly stated that I thought it a little that way and was my opinion of which we are all entitled to, even you. Just because your opinion differs however is not justification for inferring that someone has no life, indeed I have a rather fulfilling one and am not against speed either. Perhaps if you ever lose someone or witness a child die due to what someone else considered harmless fun you might re-assess what is an acceptable risk to you personally and if you are willing to put others in your vehicle at risk. I put my foot down sometimes too but it's when I'm alone and when there is no danger to others should something such as a failure happen. Opinions will always differ thats what it is to be an individual, i apologise that I don't fall in line to your way of thinking I will try to get a life for you dude, but I still think the add would have had just as much impact without the child.

#17 ·
Seriously people, this thread is a tad bit silly don't ya think ?? :zzz:
TV vs Reality......there is a difference !!

#18 ·
paulhowes said:
The post clearly stated that I thought it a little that way and was my opinion of which we are all entitled to, even you. Just because your opinion differs however is not justification for inferring that someone has no life, indeed I have a rather fulfilling one and am not against speed either. Perhaps if you ever lose someone or witness a child die due to what someone else considered harmless fun you might re-assess what is an acceptable risk to you personally and if you are willing to put others in your vehicle at risk. I put my foot down sometimes too but it's when I'm alone and when there is no danger to others should something such as a failure happen. Opinions will always differ thats what it is to be an individual, i apologise that I don't fall in line to your way of thinking I will try to get a life for you dude, but I still think the add would have had just as much impact without the child.
PaulHowes:
I'll agree that our opinions can differ. And I have no problems but this nancy state where people think political or other correctness empowers them to complain about anything, however minor, is something I can't handle.

Your opinion is simply not based on any reasonable facts in this case because to criticise that ad is to implore the compulsory advertising of cars in a stationary position. There's no implied speeding, no implied unsafe practices. For all I know the kid enjoys the sound of the TQE exhaust (knowing he may be too yound to have heard an eight). really, it's all about enjoying a car in motion - something I hope all people do everyday (except camry drivers of course).

As for the road death thing mate, have you been there?? What makes a child so much more valuable than a mate? Or anyone else for that matter? If the ad had portrayed clearly unsafe behaviour I'd have no problem with what you said.

I respectfully withdraw my comment saying you should get a life. But someone who has a fulfilling life would probably not waste the time to criticise such advertising.

#19 ·
Aussie Pete said:
PaulHowes:
I'll agree that our opinions can differ. And I have no problems but this nancy state where people think political or other correctness empowers them to complain about anything, however minor, is something I can't handle.

Your opinion is simply not based on any reasonable facts in this case because to criticise that ad is to implore the compulsory advertising of cars in a stationary position. There's no implied speeding, no implied unsafe practices. For all I know the kid enjoys the sound of the TQE exhaust (knowing he may be too yound to have heard an eight). really, it's all about enjoying a car in motion - something I hope all people do everyday (except camry drivers of course).

As for the road death thing mate, have you been there?? What makes a child so much more valuable than a mate? Or anyone else for that matter? If the ad had portrayed clearly unsafe behaviour I'd have no problem with what you said.

I respectfully withdraw my comment saying you should get a life. But someone who has a fulfilling life would probably not waste the time to criticise such advertising.
Yes I've been there and as for your comments now who's being picky, the way you get defensive and contradict yourself I would have to say you must be a sensative guy I'm sorry I offend you sunshine, take the
commodore for a spin and chill out.
I will not reply further on this matter as I feel everyone has an opinion and you are too narrow minded to accept that. It's a topic for conversation and opinion, get over it. I find it interesting that the only people who were offended by the topic were those who drove a commodore. If it makes you feel better heap garbage on my pursuit, I'm pretty shallow it might hurt me. Honestly stop stressing and relax. have a nice night.

#22 ·
i dont see anything wrong with the ad at all. he isnt speeding, the toddler is properly restrained and about the only thing that i can see that can be interpreted as speeding was that he gave it a few revs, which isnt illegal either. no where in the ad is he being irresponsible or unsafe in any manner. like i said he gave it some revs...so what, doesnt mean he was doing 200kmh to make the revs does it. infact if you look at the speedo in the ad you will see it never breaks past 60kmh.
unsafe....how???

#25 ·
paulhowes said:
Yes I've been there and as for your comments now who's being picky, the way you get defensive and contradict yourself I would have to say you must be a sensative guy I'm sorry I offend you sunshine, take the
commodore for a spin and chill out.
I will not reply further on this matter as I feel everyone has an opinion and you are too narrow minded to accept that. It's a topic for conversation and opinion, get over it. I find it interesting that the only people who were offended by the topic were those who drove a commodore. If it makes you feel better heap garbage on my pursuit, I'm pretty shallow it might hurt me. Honestly stop stressing and relax. have a nice night.
I know you're not going to reply but people who complain like you have led to the removal of ads like the Ford Ute ad on the salt lake with the land speed record car and so on. It's just so ridiculous and the fact this ad has a Commodore in it is irrelevant. Similarly, I fail to see why you would bring up what car I drive (certainly not a Commodore????) or you drive. That's what I'd expect from Harold Screwby - reply with something totally irrelevant....

Anyhow, like you say we'll move on :wnc:

#26 ·
And the Mitsubishi Challenger add is bad cos it promotes everyone to turn their driveways in to a 4 wheel drive track....
Leave the adds alone... what next? Take car chases out of movies!?!?!

The New SS add alternative?: They only talk about the abs, airbags, and 0ther safety features... the child in the back is sleeping, and the tacho never goes above 1000rpm. Shots of the car only show the car moving normally, and the driver has to frown, because your not allowed to enjoy driving anymore.....

It's sad but there are many people out there with the philosophy that you are not supposed to enjoy life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.