Ford Forums banner

Wet weather grip

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  donno 
#1 ·
As the title suggests, I'm having big problems with wet wether grip. With an e series brake pedal like clutch (yes the cable has beeen snapped and subseqeuntly replaced), its almost impossible to take off with any sort of accelleration with little weight in the arse end without the rears spinning it up. I know its not much to complain about getting wheelspin, but in trafic when you need to launch to get a gap, and only sit there spinning, its not only frustrating, but dangerous.

In addition to this, yesterday I was with a mate driving home in the rain taking a right turn into a single lane between 2 trafic islands both with trafic light poles, when at only a 1/4 throttle (I eased onto it too) in 2nd, the rear let go to about 45 degrees. I don't mind oversteer, but when your not inducing it and in a tight gap, it gets a bit hairy. Although a bit of almost opposite lock and throttle corrected it with ease, it could have ended with a large dent in my passenger rear quarter.

So without anymore dilly dallying, what is a good trye that performs in the wet, but is affordable to a uni student? At the moment I have a set of Kelly 215s that are about 80% tread, and IMO, they are worse then the 70 odd buck 195s on our XE at home. Should I go up to 225 on my next purchase, as by then I'll have a full exhaust, intake, plus possible cam?

Thanks
Donno

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry, they're the factory 5 spokers, 15".

#6 ·
EA_Bender said:
DO NOT GET FALKENS

thats all i gotta say
Agreed!!!!!

I was in a laser the other day with a set of bridgestone dounuts. Not sure what model, but damn they hung on the the wet. The only time the front end slipped (FWD) was flooring it on a hill with heavy rain falling. Very impressive.

#10 ·
LSD for me :)

#12 ·
I've got bridgestone G`grid 225/60/r15s... only had them a few days but it rains a fair bit here and they appear to be better than the Goodyear Eagle GA Plus (215/65r14s before i got the mags on)... they're the next thing up from the donuts apparrantly...

#15 ·
one word i can say to you A509 or RE710 ! they are ballistic!

#18 ·
I had A509's on my AUII and they performed really well even in heavy rain, used to run G-Grids too and they were really good in the wet but were a bloody noisy tire....on my new focus Ive got the Dunlop NCT tires and they were fantastic in the pouring rain we had here in Sydney yesterday and Saturday night....the car hung onto the road very well and I ws quite impressed actually (felt much better than the AUII ever did in the wet)

#19 ·
Awesome guys, cheers for the advice. Untill I can afford some new rubber, and these are worn down I'll just have to be extremely cautious. Thanks again everyone.

#20 ·
Top thread..even in my auto I had issues coming off the line in the wet. Hence losing my confidence a little while normally driving.

There should be a section for uni students!..lol..and all the bargin stuff you can get. hehe

#21 ·
i put 205/65R15 goodyear eagle GA or dunlop monza 200 retreads on my XF... they only cost $48 each fitted so im pretty happy.. they seem to hang on and stand up to a fair bit of punishment (too bad the rest of my car doesnt :p )...

they are much better than the spares i had..one was a 215 and the other a 195...i sort of destroyed them when doing donuts in a big dirt patch but in the wet they would break free and just spin wildly without me even trying and this is on a carby fed XF that takes 18sec to get to 100km/h....they were SCREWED!!!

#22 ·
FoMoCo4eva said:
Top thread..even in my auto I had issues coming off the line in the wet. Hence losing my confidence a little while normally driving.

There should be a section for uni students!..lol..and all the bargin stuff you can get. hehe
Hehe, a thread for doing up a car for the GDP of Somalia (aka hand painted pinstripes, backyard hand can bumper respraying and panel beating). Well, it does teach you the value of things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.