Ford Forums banner

Windshield streaks

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  XLR8 
#1 ·
What's the best way to get rid of windshield streaks? I may need new wiperblades, but I don't think that is the problem. You can see arc where the wiper blade cleans when you spray water from a hose on the glass. I use bars bugs in the water container, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

#2 ·
I think sometimes when you use too much soap, it causes that streaking effect.

You should try and was the windscreen with a strong cleaner and a scourer to get all the sh*t off the windscreen. Then I reckon just use normal water and buy some good quality wiperblades.

Thats what I reckon :)

Cheers
Matt

#3 ·
Use AutoGlyms glass polish and clean regulary with meguiars glass cleaner. Replace wiper blades and you should be sweet.

If marks are severe you may need to a very fine cutting compound, if you do ask Nipper for advice. He had to use it on his ED, but the results were amazing

#4 ·
heh. I just use a mix of distilled water, metho and ammonia - thats all that fancy stuff is. Not only does it get rid of the carbon based stuff that comes out of other peoples exhausts, it also gets rid of the bugs n stuff you just cant avoid. Oh yeah, and it tends to evaporate fairly quickly, and these chemicals tend to break down really fast in the environment. I replace my blades every 6 months anyway, its a part of the general maintainance that should be a part of every vehicle :)

#6 ·
cobraXR said:
Rob... how deep was the scratch on Nipper's windscreen?
Danielles Fairmont ghia has a deep scratch from a non exisistant blade. i tried buffing it out with compound to no avail.
Wasnt really a scratch, it was water marks all over the screen and nothing would move them except a compound

#7 ·
XLR8 said:
Use AutoGlyms glass polish and clean regulary with meguiars glass cleaner. Replace wiper blades and you should be sweet.

I assume you would recommend this for general cleaning of the windows as well. I have some marks on the rear window that don't look to flash so I will give this a try, (unless bob answers my email) :s5

#8 ·
After being a truckie and all that, I have found a product that is awesome for windows. I don't use glass cleaner because it can compromise the rubber blades' coatings and cause incomplete wiping.

Coming from the dark side, the product is called Optikleen by Holden. Cheap, effective, and sits in your washer bottle preventing algae growth etc. Use in concentrated form to de-film your windows when washing the car.

Another top idea - Safety Groove for your screen. Unreal despite looking like a dumb idea. And another hint, when you replace a windscreen, replace the rubber blades at the same time. Saves scuffing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.