Ford Forums banner

Steering pressure switch

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Madhatter 
#1 ·
Suddenly the steering pressure switch has failed. What does it do. As it is either on or off I thought it may be to increase the engine power at idle when the steering is turned.
Cannot see much change when the input from the switch is shorted or open.
If it is removed will the oil leak fast or slow?

#4 ·
Is that the only purpose for the pressure switch?
Shorting or opening the terminals has very little effect on my engine because the ISC motor must be adjusting the speed. Controlling the speed with the computer would be a faster response and would also be a better way to control the idle. Perhaps the left hand of the Ford design team does not know what the right hand is doing.
May leave it shorted and note what happens.

#6 ·
A faulty switch may cause unexpected problems because now it is bridged closed the engine seems better. Have not tried it open. The switch had a resistance and was neither open or closed. But before it failed it may have been dropping in and out and giving a confusing message to the computer.
From information found on the net, it would appear to be useful if the idle speed is set very slow.

#7 ·
Like i said here http://www.fordforums.com/showpost.php?p=1114911&postcount=25
it doesnt change idle, when idle drops due to resistance from the power steering pump, the ecu recognises this and the idle control motor brings the idle back up.

The pressure switch is there for diagnosis, if you notice it is on the high side of the unit, it detects pressure (either excessive or too low) and logs a fault code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.