Ford Forums banner

Chi heads/intake

6K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  GammaBoy 
#1 ·
hello everyone nice forum.
Brenden I finally got the CHI em185 heads and intake in. hopefully i will have it all together in about 3 weeks. car is getting mini tubbed. I will keep you posted of how it runs when its done.

#3 ·
Okay Guys, I've decided to ditch my blower project... got enough projects of the 2 wheel variety at the moment... S I'm gunna go the classicaly proven path of Heads/cams/carbs...
Quick Question, does a 2V Weiand Xcellerator work with the CHI 185s? what about the bigger 218 CHIs?

Thanks
Ben

#5 ·
GammaBoy said:
Okay Guys, I've decided to ditch my blower project... got enough projects of the 2 wheel variety at the moment... S I'm gunna go the classicaly proven path of Heads/cams/carbs...
Quick Question, does a 2V Weiand Xcellerator work with the CHI 185s? what about the bigger 218 CHIs?

Thanks
Ben
The good thing about the weiand manifold is that it will fit under the hood.The bad thing is you,ll be giving up around 30 horsepower by using it and not going to the current generation of manifolds like the active,parker funnelweb and whatever is on the market.These manifolds prolly won,t fit under your hood either.

#8 ·
I don't honestly think there'd be 30hp difference. Considering XBWGN's running a weiand and has 252rwkw (close enough to 350rwhp). I reckon there would be lucky to be 5-10kw at the most @ the wheels. I'm guessing that 30hp you stated is at the engine though?

I'll find out eventually as I'll be running a CHI manifold and I've been told "yes, it does fit under the bonnet of XA-C's". I'll find out for myself and go from there. I'll also see if there is any noticable power difference.

I'm running the 218cc as the 185cc didn't suit my needs. 185cc would have been too restrictive. They would have needed more $ put into them. I run 1 3/4" headers 4-1's. As my plan is to have 408ci under my CHI's ;) For the moment I'll play with the 351.

Brenden

#9 ·
Brenx, what Extractors are you running? Pacemaker 4070s?
Is XBWGN running a slushbox?
Be interested to see if the CHI manifold does go underbonnet, and if it would fit on a Shakered XY... wonder how much a shaker can flow....

#10 ·
I run pacemaker 4070's 4-1's. XBWGN runs unbranded 4-2-1's. Yup he's running basically a stock C4. I've got more auto mods than him. He still runs the flexable band where I run a solid band.

I'll probably pick up a CHI manifold either later this year or early next. I'm in no hurry and I have other financial commitments anway.

It's tight under an XY bonnet and the shake requires loads of modifications to get it under bonnet. So you wouldn't want to go hacking up a genuine shaker.

Brenden

#11 ·
No Ph34R there... non genuine shaker, in a non genuine GT... I don't think I've got any genuine bits... I've got the 4070's with ram type power steering... they're pretty damn tight in there in an XY... when I swap in my built motor, they're be a lil extra clearance grinding taking place....
Okay, so it would be fair to expect if XBWGNs got 350ish rwhp through a C4, a similar setup through a Toploader might give closer to 370-380rwhp?
I'm going to go the 185s and a hydraulic cam, and about 10.5 comp... what sort of hp can i expect without getting beyond about 6000rpm for the peak? what sort of cam would do it?
Sorry to thread jack, terribly rude of me :angel:

Ben

#13 ·
Go to the CHI website for some HP numbers on some of their 185 and 218 combos.

Ideally you need to go the 4V headers to match up nicely to the alloy 3V's due to their raised exhaust ports. The 2V's will fit but need a little grinding around the top so they don't shroud the ports. 4070's are 2Vs and the 4075's are the 4V's, both with 1 3/4" primaries. I think these are for XA-XF, but the XY's etc have a different part number???

I would go a solid cam with these heads, then you can cash in on their top end power.

I think you have 2 chances running a shaker scoop on a raised CHI or similar manifold. The weiand xcelerator will just fit, but the CHI manifold sits heaps higher, you'd never close your bonnet. You may be able to fabricate one of those step down style aircleaners that "hang over" your carby, or just chop your current one and use a thinner air filter. Or if you want to go ultimate faker, then just selastic the shaker intake to your bonnet from underneath. Can't believe I just said that!

Manifold and power vs asthetics. I vote more ponies.

#14 ·
Pacemakers website lists XR-XE for the 4070s and 4075s... so yeah they fit but its tight... I emailed CHI about them and they said the 4070's should match up fine...
looks like I'll stick with the Weiand then... I like my shaker to shake... I'm not hugely fussed about maybe 20-30 hp vs the hassle involved with doing something different bonnet wise...
Although I spose a "drop-base" shaker wouldn't be too hard to fab and might solve some issues... planning on using a K&N fiter top element thingo... gives the effect of an extra 1" of filter height...
Would you believe its a daily driver? hence not to worried about solid cams and top end power.... be nice but....

#15 ·
Keeping it under bonnet is all the more fun. :hehe: I'll give it a go as the hornet scoops attracting more attention than I would like. Every police car I pass thats going in the other direction, I see hit the brakes in my rearview mirror.

TruBlu351 : My mate almost got a Active manifold under which is taller than the CHI, in an XY ;) Missed out by 10-15mm. :doh: If he'd have gone a CHI manifold it would have gone under just ;)

It can be done. Mustang shakers are 1" shorter than the XY shaker too for those who didn't know.

Brenden

#16 ·
What part was causing the 10-15mm problem? How much filter was he trying to run?
Whats the height diff between the CHI and Active?
The glass shaker I've got is the type that can be trimmed in height, not the flanged ones which can't easily... so I guess I'm ahead there... How much height can be milled off the CHI plennum?
I can get a weiand for about $300-$350 s/h, is the CHI really gunna be worth the extra $350? (they list at $700, or do they do a package with their heads?)
Sorry bout the 20 questions....

#17 ·
GammaBoy said:
What part was causing the 10-15mm problem? How much filter was he trying to run?
Aircleaner, 2" non-recessed aircleaner.
Whats the height diff between the CHI and Active?
Active 7.25" and CHI 7". The CHI can be milled to 6.25".
The glass shaker I've got is the type that can be trimmed in height, not the flanged ones which can't easily... so I guess I'm ahead there...
Sure are.

How much height can be milled off the CHI plennum?
3/4"

I can get a weiand for about $300-$350 s/h, is the CHI really gunna be worth the extra $350? (they list at $700, or do they do a package with their heads?)
I think the gains will be marginal. I'll be tuning with the weiand, then racing it. Then I'll tune with the CHI and race it also. The weiand xcellerator 2V is a good manifold. If the shit hits the fan and the CHI doesn't help my 1/4's? The Weiand goes back on ;)

Sorry bout the 20 questions....
better to ask now than too late.

#20 ·
5 horsepower is what i would call marginal.30 hp is certainly noticeable.Quite simply the weiand manifold was a good piece and it still remains a good manifold for a design that is probably some 20-30 years old. Having said that it would be no match for a modern manfold like the active or chi.

#21 ·
If a CHI manifold nets me 30hp @ the wheels? I'll be pretty satisfied with the investment but I honestly don't think it will. I think I'll get more of a torque increase than actual power. I guess I'll find out when I throw one on for testing.

If 30hp @ the engine by the time it hits the wheels, I won't even notice. You'd notice if you didn't have a high hp engine but getting a tad higher than you've already got is barely noticable.

I watched a 383 chev with one of the new torque power manifolds. With the prior single plan and state of tune it netted 310-7rwkw. Can't remember exact numbers. With the new torque power manifold it netted 299rwkw in tune untouched. Unfortunately I didn't get to see what it was after the tuning was fiddled with but I will ask.

It should be interesting to see how the 408C 218cc CHI headed engine does @ the engine masters comp thats happening very shortly. I am keeping an eye on it for ideas for the 408C I want to build up.

Brenden

#22 ·
GammaBoy said:
CHI discount their manifolds $100 if you buy the heads. Said he'd still do the discount if bought at a later date.

Brenx: I get to test the hornet scoop next week! Yep, it's gunna be a real cop magnet. Especially because it's still primer white on a black car!

Got the 2" spacer on the weiand and tried fitting a 5" tall air filter! I need the hornet pro-stock scoop.

The 2x14" air filter would choke the flow don't you think? Not that there are many other options.

#23 ·
It's the downfall to owning an XD-E. No under bonnet space. You should have been able to get away with a traditional size hornet street scoop. Go to a paint shop and get the car color matched. A $20 can on paint makes it less attractive to police. Mine sits 120mm off the bonnet.

My little aircleaner restricts it very little. I do notice slightly better throttle response with it off but nothing that I'd need on the street anyway. It bags the tyres easily enough anyway.

I am looking to go something thats around 20-26cm wide when I can be bothered making the hole in the bonnet largerer. Then when I get the CHI manifold I'll attempt to keep it all under bonnet. Lucky I have my other bonnet here an XB GT/GS bonnet ;)

Brenden

#24 ·
You could always go to the Boss 429 bonnet scoop... *plenty* of room for *big* filters...

Reckon it'd look pretty good on a XD/XE....
As for the XB? Bathurst Cobra cowl scoop.... :D check the FCT cruise piccys in the NSW/QLD events bit..

#25 ·
The only downfall to that scoop is it does nothing exept allow the aircleaner to suit slighly out of the bonnet. See how the top seals against the scoop with the rubber.

It'd be perfect for cold air induction. Waste of space sealed like that.

Theres two reasons to run a scoop. a) engine clearance and b) cold air induction. To not take advantage of (b) is just silly.

Agreed it does look good ;)

Brenden

#26 ·
The Boss 429 scoop, in its original factory implementation *does* give cold air when you mash the throttle. That rubber skirt seals against the bonnet not the scoop, but they had a vacuum operated flapper, like the shakers did.
Here's a 65 stang with a 351Wheezer and a Boss scoop, 14"x5" filter, *massive* amounts of cold air to the filter...

Looks a little huge on the tiny 65 stang.....

The Cobra cowl scoops give good cold air flow too, the base of the windscreen is a large high pressure area (you'd need a seal setup to not get orver run by the engine bay pressure though.. ie so the filter can only pull from the cowl scoop)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.