Ford Forums banner

Newbie Technical Q's

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Trey 
#1 ·
Hi all,

What a great site! I recently picked up a 95 CV P71 with 157K. There are some things that need fixing. I need your expertise with following:

1. "Air bag" light is flashing code 41. What does that mean?
2. Power steering is cutting in and out as I turn the wheel. Would it be the PS pump or the bearing? How can I eliminate one or the other? I'm told CV doesn't have rack and pinion.
3. I have 2 holes on the roof of the car from the cop lights. Where can I get some kind of rubber plug to seal these holes? I phone around and had no luck. Please be specific.
4. Can I use mineral spirits to remove decal glue? Will it dull the paint?
5. Is the speedometer electric or cable driven? Mine is not working and I'm suspecting that this wire might have been cut by accident.
6. What technical manual would you recommend for CV? Does Ford sell them? Where can I get one?
7. I have metal brackets for the push bumper in the front. Where could I get the rubber pads for the brackets?

I know this is lots of questions for the first time. But I’m handy with the tools and very excited to tackle the project.

Regards,
…Peter

See less See more
#2 ·
kalmos said:
Hi all,

What a great site! I recently picked up a 95 CV P71 with 157K. There are some things that need fixing. I need your expertise with following:

1. "Air bag" light is flashing code 41. What does that mean?
Probably means the sensor for the air bag has been disconnected...but being a police car, that wouldn't surprise me much.
2. Power steering is cutting in and out as I turn the wheel. Would it be the PS pump or the bearing? How can I eliminate one or the other? I'm told CV doesn't have rack and pinion.
More than likley it's the pump. Alot of the ford P/S pumps seem to do this.
3. I have 2 holes on the roof of the car from the cop lights. Where can I get some kind of rubber plug to seal these holes? I phone around and had no luck. Please be specific.
When I took off the rear wiper I had on the Probe, I had a large hole in the trunk lid. I used a body trim piece, kinda like a large plastic screw. I took the screw part off, leaving just the top part. Painted it the color of the car, and used a clear silicone to seal it and hold it in place. Worked like a charm.
4. Can I use mineral spirits to remove decal glue? Will it dull the paint?
You can, but I'd recommend a bumper sticker remover. They're a bit safer for the paint. If you do use mineral spirits, make sure to test on a small unnoticable part of the car...just in case. ;)
5. Is the speedometer electric or cable driven? Mine is not working and I'm suspecting that this wire might have been cut by accident.
'95 *should* be electrical.....the only way to know for sure is look in a manual, or take off the instrument cluster and see what's plugged into the back.
6. What technical manual would you recommend for CV? Does Ford sell them? Where can I get one?
By far the Ford Service Manual is the best there is. It also costs the part, usually in the $70 to $90 range. You can pick up a Haynes or Chilton's manual for the car. Typically $12 to $17 at most parts stores.
7. I have metal brackets for the push bumper in the front. Where could I get the rubber pads for the brackets?
I honestly do not know the answer to this one...you may try somewhere like carparts.com. Otherwise, I'm sure we could all help you find them. :D
I know this is lots of questions for the first time. But I’m handy with the tools and very excited to tackle the project.

Regards,
…Peter
Not a problem, hope I helped some...:thumbup:

#6 ·
kalmos said:
Can I replace the power steering pump with a pump from a civilian CV?
Yes. Should go in without a problem, but jsut to make sure, take your old one in and compare with the one on the shelf. Make sure all hose connections and mountiing points are the same.

#7 ·
Marqman said:
Assuming the air bags are all intact, wouldn't a disconnected sensor make them go BOOM???
No, what if for some reason you lost all electrical power? That would suck if everytime you lost power for whatever reason the air bags blew.

Usually, if the sensors are disconnected, they are just not getting power, and the 'puter sees this and tells you that the Air Bag sensors need to be fixed (or reconnected).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.