Ford Forums banner

Ghia5L ain't sure what to do...

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mad_ea_spac 
#1 ·
Hrm, I seem to have come to a crossroads with my EB. I'm going to be making regular trips down to Melbourne from now on, & doing this in the EB isn't the best way to go, because of:

* V8 engine (even if it's ok on the highway, I'll still be paying more for fuel than for rent!)
* racking up high kms on the car

Also, doing mods such as changing the diff gears (which I'd love to do) for a bit more get-up-'n'-go would be crazy if I use the EB as a long distance cruiser :-/

So, here's what I'm considering: Should I try & swap for an EB-ED GLi wagon on gas, or stick with my Ghia?

Swap Pros:

* Saving $$$ when it comes to fuel
* High KMs don't matter
* Wagon body means I can haul extra gear to Melbourne (artwork for gf's business)
* It's a GLi, I wouldn't worry about its "image" (getting dirty all the time, or say the occasional ding in the door/scratch due to car park traffic in Melbourne)

Swap Cons:

* No more sweet black V8 luxo cruiser
* I'm very familiar with my car, I know all its little good (& bad, haha!) bits which give it its character

What do you guys think? Should I seriously consider a straight swap for a wagon (would have to have RWC, and mine would have RWC too), or is this crazy? Cheers,

-Dave-

See less See more
#2 ·
Im just wondering exactly what fuel benefits would be had switching to a tqe. If fuel expense is a huge concern then I dont think there's a Faclon on the face of the planet that would suit your needs, LPG or otherwise (noting the heyday for LPG users is cominbg to an end within the next few years). Maybe LPGise the EB?

Wagon has obvious advantages tho, if you're hauling a fair bit of ass, i mean, stuff.

Hard to pick than a broken nose I reckon!!!! lol

#3 ·
Regarding fuel benefits, I was just thinking back to driving dad's EF. He used to regularly get around 600km to a tank, while I get aroudn 400km to a tank (make that 500 if regular freeway driving is thrown in... then again the EF's economy would've improved too, although not as dramatically). With lots of kms which are gonna be chewed up, that "650" vs "500" to a tank sure does add up. Throw in LPG, which will assumingly get say 450 to a tank for a TQE, and costs half as much as fuel, this would be cheaper again!

As for LPG-ing the EB, I'd never get my moneysss back!

-Dave-

#4 ·
I'll swap you for my EA. It's not a wagon, but it's on gas! ;) lol.

Sundeep

#5 ·
I wouldn't give up the car. What a sacrifice to make! I mean you're looking forward to modding it further with the diff gears etc so I think swapping it may be a move you regret. You are quite right in appreciating the importance of knowing the idiosyncrasies of your current ride; "better the devil you know" as the saying goes. The luxo barges are the best sorts of cars for cruising. Perhaps you should hold off on the diff gears and put it towards other mods or even towards the extra fuel. The car is there to be used so don't worry too much about the klms. Is the fuel really going to be that much of a consideration?

Other considerations... get a trailer for the EB?

#6 ·
LOL@trailer!!!

Yes, I'd very much like to keep her... If there honestly isn't a huge difference in running costs of an EB TQE & my V8, then I definately won't consider swapping the EB. Maybe dad's EF was an economy freak? His BA only gets about 100km more from a tank than my EB.

Sunny (good call!): does your EA come with stickers? If so I may be interested... :rofl:

-Dave-

#8 ·
Petrol runs :hehe:

#10 ·
Hrm... u never know, if decent $$$ come from these Melbourne trips, then the missus could get a largish runabout (for the melbourne trips & herself). She likes the idea of a commo/Ford wagon on gas for herself.

It's a gamble though! First we gotta make money... And to make money, you need money. /me rolls the dice...

Hopefully I don't cop snake eyes :-/

-Dave-

#12 ·
Karl,

I don't see how I'd ever get any money back by putting her on gas (unless you mean NOS :ihi:)

Also, I tend to take advantage of the boot + having the back seats folded down, so LPGing the EB simply isn't an option unfortunately.

I am determined to come to another FF meet in the EB sometime! Even if the roof & bonnet desperately need repearling & I need a few more kW :doh:

Cheers mate

-Dave-

#13 ·
/me considers swapping my wagon for the eb

but on the other hand i need the wagon body & gas system too:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.