Ford Forums banner

help with exhaust studs

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  460Fairmont 
#1 ·
I got some exhaust studs today for my turbo manifolds cause apparently they don't come loose like normal bolts sometimes do. Anyway, what is the best way to screw them into the head? I thought the bit in the middle that doesn't have any thread on it was supposed to have flat sides so you could use a open end spanner to screw them into the head. On my ones this part is just rounded.

Also, when you look at them one end has about 10mm of thread and the other has about 20mm of thread. Which end goes into the head? I was thinking the 10mm end???

#2 ·
Not sure which way goes into the head

To screw them in, just put 2 bolts on the thread and tighten them against each other, then you can screw them in.

I have been warned that they can snap of real easy, so you might want to put some anti-seaze on the threads so you can pull them out if they break.

#4 ·
yeah i tried the two bolt against each other thing....they just spin together. if you let them reach down to the middle of the stud (the smooth part) they just lock there and when you try and undo them, the whole stud comes out again with the bolt locked to it. It's a fvcked design.

#6 ·
Try locking the two nuts together before you get to the end of the thread.Lock them together--as in turning the outside nut to the right and the inner nut towards it-to the left.They will lock together and screw the stud in.When the stud is tight,just unlock the nuts and take em off.The stud stays screwed in tight.

#7 ·
the stud doesn't need to be tight, when you tighten the nut it will tighten the stud aswell, just screw the stud in by hand. IMO studs are more prone to coming loose than bolts with split washers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.