Ford Forums banner

Changing Xr8 springs, how hard????

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AUII XR8 
G
#1 ·
I gotta mate who wants me to lower his car and change his springs. Its a XR8.

How hard is it??

#3 ·
Front end is pain in the a$@e because everything interferes with each other. Once lowered springs go in it gets easier. If live axle at back - easy!

I have spring clamps, but it's just as easy to undo the nut with your eyes closed and the spring lying flat along the floor. Make sure nothing is in the way when it lets go! :crazy1:

#4 ·
On one occasion I watched mechanics struggle like hell to get the front strut/spring units out of my car (even after they'd compressed the springs). Then a few months later I fitted new front struts myself - having invested in a set of spring compressors - and I simply undid the top A arms and pulled them completely out. The strut/spring unit then virtually fell out onto the floor. I was fortunate that the top balljoint fitting on the A arm came ondone (tapered spiggot) without too much drama - that's where I can imagine dramas could be had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.