Ford Forums banner

Windows tinted & Body kit mostly fitted

9K views 51 replies 35 participants last post by  VanGelder 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after spending some more time and dollars on my car, the windows are now tinted, the side skirts and front bar are done, the rear is still in progress, am still looking for LOW's for the front, and yes I did all the prep work, and spraying of the kit myself at home. Should also say it needs a buffing yet.

Opinions welcome :0)

Side on

Front on

See less See more
#2 ·
WOW! i love that front bar. mind if i ask where you got it?

#7 ·
Good to see you did what u said u would do with the front bar :)
it looks much better and u can hardly tell what ti was to start with.
I guess now i have to have a chat to u about the spray job, seems to have come up really well!

#9 ·
The wheels - I would like some 17" EL GT wheels in champagne (but tyres cost too much for my liking). Some 16" rims would do (cheaper tyres). For now I will polish the turbo blades and clear coat them.

Still have other little bits to complete as well for some final touches.

#10 ·
Looks Tops dude :)

All that work on the front bar has paid off!
Ive gotta ask, did u get it done in time before your better half got back?

#11 ·
InitialD said:
Looks Tops dude :)

All that work on the front bar has paid off!
Ive gotta ask, did u get it done in time before your better half got back?
Yes, as you see it, is it how it went to the airport on friday night to pick up my Mrs, she didnt reliase I was going to fill the front bar, she doesnt mind it now, before that she wasnt too fond of it (neither was I really).

#12 ·
dellboy999 said:
Yes, as you see it, is it how it went to the airport on friday night to pick up my Mrs, she didnt reliase I was going to fill the front bar, she doesnt mind it now, before that she wasnt too fond of it (neither was I really).
LOL good to hear

#13 ·
it looks really, 'complete' i guess is the best way i can describe it :thup: actually a very nice colour too, and with the lights on and tinting, you would have looked like a luxury/sports limo at the airport, heh. the fact that you modified the body kit yourself would definitely add to the sense of achievement and satisfaction, not to mention individuality; very nice work

#15 ·
BoZZa17 said:
if you have done the prepping and spraying at home mind giving a quick rundown of what you have to do to prep and paint? im looking at painting a few penels soon might giv it a go myself.
thanks
Prepping means stripping all existing paint etc to a reasonable degree (paint stripper or lost of sanding) and giving it a good sanding with 120 wet and dry, then filling in with bog or high fill spray putty to remove all imperfections etc, once that's done and lots of 400 to 600 wet and dry sanding to get it nice and smooth, allow to dry completely, then a few light coats of primer, then a few heavier coats, all up about 4 or 5 coats, then 600 wet and dry give it a light sand to make it fairly smooth, next let dry, then do the same with colour, I did about 5 to 6 coats of colour with a light 1200 wet and dry rub back before the clear coat, then about 5 or 6 coats of clear coat, leave that to dry for at least 24 hours (I am waiting a week), then need to buff and polish it.

Dust coats in between help, this means spraying with primer, then a light black dust coat, just enough to make it spotty basically, you then sand it with wet and dry and the area goes primer colour in the high spots and stays dust coat colour in the low spots. If all goes well when you think you have it 100% straight, the dust coat should all be gone, meaning its as perfect as can be expected.

Always wipe down and clean between stages to be dust free and clean.

All paint etc used was acrylic and was mixed 50/50 with thinners.

The rear bar has been slightly more complicated as it is being fibre glassed as well, but once finished same as above for final prep and spraying.

Hope that helps, any other questions just ask or drop me a PM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.