Ford Forums banner

Automatic Seatbelt Problems 91 Tempo

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dagr8tim 
#1 ·
I just bought a 91 Tempo coupe with low miles. It runs good but the auto seatbelts don't work. The left one is locked in the full up position, which makes it useable. The right one is about 3/4 up.

When I start the car I can hear the motor on the right side running for a time. The left side is silent.

Has anyone had similar problems with their seatbelts. How were they fixed?

Has anyone completely replaced their stock setbelts (both auto-shoulder and lap-manual) with a 3-point aftermarket belt? If so, how so?

Suggestions?

#2 ·
You can replace the assemblys. The one that you can hear the motor turn sounds like the track is chewed up. You can replace the whole assembly in about 15 minutes per side.

As for your other post. Only canadian and American airbag versions did not have power shoulder belts. You can retro fit, if you can find the parts. Most junk yards will not sell seat belt related equipment.

#3 ·
dagr8tim said:
You can replace the assemblys. The one that you can hear the motor turn sounds like the track is chewed up. You can replace the whole assembly in about 15 minutes per side.

As for your other post. Only canadian and American airbag versions did not have power shoulder belts. You can retro fit, if you can find the parts. Most junk yards will not sell seat belt related equipment.
I'm leaning toward the 3-point manual belt route. I know that I can get seatbelts from a salvage yard. However, if there are instructions available on this site or the Web that tell me how to replace the whole track, I'd like to see them.

#4 ·
NickV said:
I'm leaning toward the 3-point manual belt route. I know that I can get seatbelts from a salvage yard. However, if there are instructions available on this site or the Web that tell me how to replace the whole track, I'd like to see them.
That can be done quiet easily, Infact it's easier to swap the whole track with the motor than try to peice it together. I'll look through my manuals and try to scan or screen cap the information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.