Ford Forums banner

EA fuel help

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Axeman82 
#1 ·
hi all im new to this forum, but have a few fords and more to come.
Anyway i've got a EA (sh*t box) that use's heaps of fule but is not running roughf, rich or leaking
Any ideas??

#2 ·
More detail, is it CFI or MPFI for a start, and by using lots of fuel how many k's per tank are you getting, are most k's done around town or open highway.

Welcome to the forums as well.

#4 ·
so let me see then, you fill it up, drive 40k's and its empty, not what the fuel gauge shows, but actual k's.

Sounds like the injectors are pouring fuel in, what do the spark plugs look like, does it idel high or around 700rpm, auto or manual, does it drive well, or is it slugish, can you smell fuel in the exhuast or not, any mods that you know of or have done.

#6 ·
I would probably without seeing the car or being able to look at it, get the injectors serviced/cleaned or as it only has 2 injectors being a CFI, it is probably as easy dollar wise to just replace them and see how things go.

I cant think of anything further, maybe the map sensor, but you sat it runs ok, have tried running the diagnostics t see what codes it spits out.

#8 ·
Easy way that may work is run premium fuel for a 1/2 a tank, must be in empty when you fill it, also maybe throw in an injector cleaner as well, see what happens, but thats about all you can to clean injectors at home, proffesional equipment and chemicals are needed if what I suggested doesnt help.

#11 ·
Does it run very cold? If so then maybe the thermostat is missing or stuck open - which is very bad for Falcons. Some people have removed them to temporarily fix overheating issues - sacrifice fuel for cooling.

With economy of 170L/100kms - which is what you are getting according to your description - maybe a little over the top, there would be fuel pouring out the exhaust because it just won't handle that much fuel. Could be a buggered pressure regulator, but if the car isn't leaking, then it HAS to be running rich to use that much fuel.

Are there any fuel smells?

Pop the bonnet and take off the air filter lid. Look down the throttle body at closed throttle, is there huge amounts of fuel pooling there? That would indicate high injector flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.