Ford Forums banner

Rediculous Parts Prices

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  tony_tickford 
#1 ·
Just wondering what other peoples experiences are with getting quoted stupidly overpriced amounts for spare parts. Here's mine:

My Telstar rocker cover gaskets were leaking, so off I toddle to dish out the $100 or so for a VRS gasket set, I got a very nasty surprise!

Ford: $1690
Autobarn: $577

Ended up getting 2 rocker cover gaskets and the intake manifold gasket through work off ACL for $26.

Other little nasty surprises that I've encounted since owning in imported car:

Leads $185.
Plugs $37 and had to be ordered in.
Rear Parcel Tray (car is a hatchback) $595.
Plastic surround for window switches...part is not serviced by Ford any more, but they had a full door trim in stock at the low low price of $1165.

#3 ·
Thats gotta suck!

If i go to get a Import im gonna get a common Ricer, least the parts are about. Never thought that Telstar parts would be expencive, next door neighbour use to have the same one as you in Burgundy, and dont remember them telling me they had probs with expencive parts

#6 ·
Yeah friend of mine replaced telstar leads with proper OEM ones. Cost a shitload but he swears by them.

I hear EL GT leads from FoMoCO spares are several hundred dollars? There must be a sucker born every minute.

#7 ·
Mazda parts prices are among the worst in the world as far as I know, possibly worse than the Germans. However, it can pay to have friends in the US where parts prices are much more reasonable than they are here.

#9 ·
There have been other examples that I can't think of as well! The mark-up must be phenominal.

Having owned 3 falcons prior to the Telstar, I think I must have become too accustomed to being able to walk into Repco, get what I need and not pay through the nose for it. I just recently bought new plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor for the EA and it cost me like $101 and I walked out with them 10mins later. I really makes me wonder why I used to whinge so much about some of the prices of Falcon parts, they are bloody cheap really!

#11 ·
Try the Au xr8's :fraz: About $300 for plugs And Leads are $300+ From ford.
I asked about the price of a pursuit 250 tailshaft and got the reply of about $4000 which is about $2000 less than a Pursuit 250 bodykit.

Also the sensors on my old Ea that i had to replace were just unbelievably high priced :fraz:
Ford Spare Parts Are Sooooo over priced

#12 ·
I spose it all depends on who you know.
New heater core for my car: $83 from Ford, $88 from Bursons.
New ISC: $125 from Ford, $175 for Bursons.
New ECT: $32 from Ford, didn't bother with Bursons.
Some of it has to do with where the parts are manafactured. If they are sourced from overseas, yes, they have a tendency to be very expensive. Also, if they are a captive part (ie, not made aftermarket) then you really pay for it. Falcons are so common you can just about get parts at the local milk bar.
The other bit is if it's out of a "performance" model. The TX5 is (was) a top-specced car. Really unfortunate, but you wouldn't end up using have the parts in the VRS kit anyway, would ya?
XRated: VRS kit is every gasket at the top of the engine including head gasket (usually), all manifold gaskets, valve stem seals, cam seals, etc...

#13 ·
Yeah I wouldn't have used all the gaskets, but it took me a good 45mins of chasing round and phone calls to find an inlet manifold gasket. Unfortunately, the manifold has to come off to get to the rear cyl bank, so therefore I need the gasket.

This is a question you may be able to answer Jack, did the V6 come standard in the TX5 Ghia or was it an option? I have a feeling they came out with the 2.2L 4 in them as well. If you have any info on them at all, please PM me! I can't seem to find anything much on them at all and I am really curious as to what sort of times etc they ran when they were released.

#14 ·
just a tip, if you are going to change a head gasket and not change the valve stem seals then dont get a VRS set, get a head set, you get everything the VRS set has minus the valve stem seals which can keep the costs down as modern type seals are very expensive.

#16 ·
The problem is, most places can't get them for this particular car. Ford could only supply a full gasket set and Autobarn could only supply a VRS. I spent ages on the phone to ACL trying to find rocker cover gaskets as they listed a manifold set but no rocker cover gaskets. They eventually found them and they were the pricely sum of $7.62ea! ACL supply a lot of the genuine parts as it is, but genuine just choose to rip people off!

Haven't tried Mazda, but everything else I have priced from them is pretty similar to Ford, usually within a few dollars.

#17 ·
$80 for a radiator hose :-S

Although that's not quite up there with the $1690 gaskets!!!

#18 ·
4.9 EF Futura said:
Yeah friend of mine replaced telstar leads with proper OEM ones. Cost a shitload but he swears by them.

I hear EL GT leads from FoMoCO spares are several hundred dollars? There must be a sucker born every minute.
Yeah but aren't the plugs on GT40s in a different spot? Not that it justifies the price.

I chewed out a plug lead a while back, thought I might as well replace them all. Ford wanted 97 bucks for a set of motorcraft ones, I got a set of 8mm champion leads for 40 bucks trade from Repco.

#19 ·
The Telstar was also available as a 2.0 four and there was a sedan model too at one point. Acceleration from memory was 0-100 in the high 8s, but often the figures given aren't really able to be compared due to being achieved in different conditions.

#20 ·
Just be glad you havnt got the 4WS model. If it dies its an absolute fortune for the rear steering rack. And it costs even more to convert it to 2WS

#21 ·
4k for a tailshaft!!! u sure it wasnt made out of gold!
im sure u can get one made from a diff place for abou 600 bucks

sylox said:
I asked about the price of a pursuit 250 tailshaft and got the reply of about $4000 which is about $2000 less than a Pursuit 250 bodykit.

Also the sensors on my old Ea that i had to replace were just unbelievably high priced :fraz:
Ford Spare Parts Are Sooooo over priced

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.