Ford Forums banner

Nine inch diff dramas

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dodge 
#1 ·
Hi,
Well after deciding I need need a better diff ratio for the falcon instead of 2.92 BW, I thought I might see if I can finish the nine inch diff I have had laying in the shed for about 6 or 7 years. This was a tired XC lsd disc brake diff and when stripped down it had a knackered hemisphere from one of the short planetary gears welding to its shaft and spinning in the housing. Well the other day in the trading post there was couple of 3.5:1 diff centres so I thought perfect! Well I bought one of a guy for 400 dollars which looked ok, as much as one can tell without pulling the rotten things down. I have just stripped it down and what do I find? The same thing! Knackered hemispere! So what I would like to know is there somewhere I can buy a good hemisphere? I'm in Brisbane. Is this a regular thing to occur in nine inch diffs? Or am I better off buying a detroit loker type diff ( apparently there are some improved versions around now) and having it fitted?
Thanks Corey

#2 ·
If you can locate a hemishere you will be back in action. You should have a spare siezed pin/spider gear from the bits and pieces. Diff shops can sell them new anyway, Motive gear still makes them I believe.

In regards to the hemisphere try to source a single wheeler or an LSD. The single wheeler (4 spider gear) only needs a lip machined off in a lathe to be able to be used. When you compare them side by side it is obvious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.