Ford Forums banner

Pinging on hot days

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  9psi EB 
#1 ·
I have recently (last weekend) replaced the intake gaskets because one port was leaking, and at the same time, installed a 1" alloy carb spacer (will change it to a phenolic one at a later stage)

Driving the car around the last two days, the weather here has been 30+ degrees and anything from around 1/2 - 3/4 acceleration upwards is resulting in pinging. This is the 1st time i've had the car out on a 30+ day.
This is also currently with the bugcatcher off, so the intake temps would be a bit higher than normal.

A/F ratio's are currently quite rich (around 12:1, possibly a bit richer), so i dont think it is a fuelling problem. Only runs BP Ultimate. Nothing has been changed on the carb, except the rear quirter from 31 to a 37.
Base timing is set at 8* and reaches around 30 total, and it comes in by around 3000rpm.

Prior to all this, it only used to ping slightly when really giving it to it, but nowhere near as bad as it did today.

My intentions are to change the spark plugs, again, with colder plugs (BP6FS) and see how it goes.

Would you expect to experience a lot of pinging on hot days, or is it more likely i have got something else going on (hopefully its not the new intake gaskets leaking on the inside)

See less See more
#2 ·
37* today! Bloody hot!.............especially with half my floor cut out!!

Does your car running temp change much with high ambient temp?

Your timing numbers don't seem excessive. Have you double checked it after manifold change?

Try the colder plugs, take 2* timing out. You mention it even pings slightly when not hot............you don't want it pinging at all.............not healthy for the motor.

High air temp = less dense air. Less air with same fuel jetting = richer AFR.

#3 ·
Engine temp climbs a bit when going slow or sitting idling at lights etc, but it doesnt get excessively hot.
Checked the timing yesterday because I was going to bring it back even more, but it was at 8* so i thought i'd just leave it.

I will change plugs today, and see what happens.
Might also get some more fuel, just to rule out that possibility.

Would like to get it sorted for sunday, so I can take it down the drags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.