Ford Forums banner

XE Falcon Mod - XY Shaker

21K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  4Vman 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I am just about finished putting my 351c into my XE falcon, and I am wanting to put a shaker on top.

Has anyone got a shaker on an XE already?
any probs with police etc?

also does anyone know a good cheap place for setups, I have heaps of books but I cant get a good look. Would preferr all Black top/no lines painted....
When you buy the shaker setup, do they come with the bottom part where the element is contained?

one more, if I fit a shaker now, and then change my intake manifold, still low rise, will I have issues, will it change much in height around the bonnet?
any probs with bonnet strength?
sorry this questions are everywhere :)

Thx in advance
cheers Pracy

p.s. someone tell me I can have a dual exhaust with the plastic tank, I dont care if they come out the same side...aslong as it works?....

See less See more
#2 ·
I've seen shakers on XD's & XE's, but i prefer them without.

What about colour coding the shaker to the rest of the car, and smooth the fins over on the top?

I remember reading somewhere that a 3inch single system works better on the clevo instead of a twin system. There is a "swirl" effect with the exhaust gasses, and the single system seemed to suit this better. The dual system can be done out the same side though. What size were you thinking of? twin 2 inch, 2 1/4 inch?

#3 ·
pracy said:
Hey guys

I am just about finished putting my 351c into my XE falcon, and I am wanting to put a shaker on top.

Has anyone got a shaker on an XE already?
any probs with police etc?

also does anyone know a good cheap place for setups, I have heaps of books but I cant get a good look. Would preferr all Black top/no lines painted....
When you buy the shaker setup, do they come with the bottom part where the element is contained?

one more, if I fit a shaker now, and then change my intake manifold, still low rise, will I have issues, will it change much in height around the bonnet?
any probs with bonnet strength?
sorry this questions are everywhere :)

Thx in advance
cheers Pracy

p.s. someone tell me I can have a dual exhaust with the plastic tank, I dont care if they come out the same side...aslong as it works?....
ESP on here has a Shaker on his XE ESP i reckon it looks trick.I think he has a pic of his car in the Gallery.

#4 ·
yeah i like the idea of a shaker on an XE, was hoping someone could tell the story of installing one....
my car has all the badges shaved and all totally smooth moza red, so it needs someting diff, smoothing to shaker would be cool, in black. :)

#6 ·
I reckon they look great on the XD/E's but have heard from a reputable panel shop that the bonnet sheet metal on XD/E's is a bit thin and you will end up with some distortions from having a hole.

Can be fixed with re-inforcement strap welded on the engine side but then you're up for a respray.

It's for this reason I went for a Hornet scoop which bolts down across the hole, which is quite a bit smaller anyway than the hole for a shaker.

#7 ·
Yes, the shaker scoops look great on XD-F's.

They are legal to fit (low, rounded and plastic) and won't give the cops any illegal sticker opportunities.

Your manifold changes should be OK. The stocky, performer and xcelerator manifolds are real close to eachother.

The shaker comes in a complete kit. Intake, air filter housing and rubber seal for bonnet to sit on. There's also a fiberglass surround that glues to the bonnet after the hole has been cut out, giving a nice smooth finish. You could also buy a strip of plastic/rubber seal that pushes onto the sheet metal edge.

Fitting - I believe there's a template that comes with the kit?

#8 ·
thanks heaps for the replys guys!! the kit sounds pretty complete and around the money i was thinking.... :)

I am concerned with the strength though! is there anyone here who has just cut the hole and been happy? how distorted :p did it become and how fast? I am going to install a 2nd strut as a minimum so when it raises its not bending...

#10 ·
I bought the fibreglass shaker replica had nothing but trouble it really limits all possibilities for upgrades, cant run MSD dizzys with, the shaker hitts the adjusting screws on the DP carbs. But worst of all the fibreglass is such a good inslator the carby cooks underneath boiling the fuel in the bowls!! Even with a phenolic spacer. I had such troubles with hot statrs due to flooding the intake caused by heat.

#11 ·
My bonnet isn't reinforced and seems fine.

Can back up what northiam mentioned about retaining heat in the carby. Last summer I had quite a few fuel vapour locks due to excessive heat under the shaker duna. Whether this was a primary factor, not sure, but it wouldn't help.

#12 ·
northiam said:
I bought the fibreglass shaker replica had nothing but trouble it really limits all possibilities for upgrades, cant run MSD dizzys with, the shaker hitts the adjusting screws on the DP carbs. But worst of all the fibreglass is such a good inslator the carby cooks underneath boiling the fuel in the bowls!! Even with a phenolic spacer. I had such troubles with hot statrs due to flooding the intake caused by heat.

is this the normal kit? or do you mean fibreglass where the air element goes?
I am running a MSD dissy and a DP :( guys?

#14 ·
DP's have high fuel bowl adjusting screws that may hit the filter housing. Cut/drill some holes to accommodate the screws, then glue/araldite some caps plastic PVC pipe caps over the holes (big enough not to go down a venturi!). Easy, but fiddly fix. Make sure you have the shaker lid lined up with its attaching bolts/screws to ensure these 2 holes are drilled in the exact position.

What may need a bit of massaging is the typr of fuel rail/log you are using. Again, mine fitted OK, but my screw in fuel pressure gauge (on top of the fuel log) required a small hole cutting out of the shake filter housing.

#15 ·
The replicas are fibreglass entirely unless you fork out $1100 for a steel one.
On an XA you cannot fit a MSD dizzy with the shaker I had, and still close the hood. Im sure theres a few different manufacturers around making them. Try fitting a DP HP carb! Go for a low hornet scoop as strokexd mentioned. Ive retained the shaker scoop but got the fibreglass heap of shiit out of there.

#16 ·
Seems a lot of hassles with the shakers that I wasn't aware of, with the only benefit (apart from looking great) is cool air into the carb.

I can vouch for the Hornet scoop doing the same thing without the hassles. Cost me $200 + painting $100 + air-cleaner/carb plate mods to get the carb up there in the air-stream ($100).

Looks good too..

#19 ·
STROKEXD u might have converted me, i was pretty stuck on havin a shaker and I didn't like the hornet scoop.. to prove this I have a hornet scoop sitting here for $0 if I wanna use it.... I was thinking it would look good cut right down, and it does!!!
i also like the front screen... :)

#20 ·
northiam said:
Looks awesome strokexd! Heres what I did with the shaker I got, just sharing ideas around!
northiam,
What a shame - you had to get a Funnelweb inlet manifold just to get the shaker up high enough to stick thru the bonnet!!! Darn!

If we tried to run that manifold on an XD/E we would need a Hornet Scoop as high as the roof line as the whole carby would be above the bonnet

Nice setup

#21 ·
You can buy the low style hornet scoops for about $100 on the internet if you look around. I bought the version which is about 4cm higher for $145.

If you guys already have a shaker hole in the bonnet, the hornet scoop will just cover it by about 2cm on each side.

#23 ·
pracy said:
what kinda spacer size will I need with a redline street torker and a HP DP 650 under a flat hornet like strokexd's?

do you guys lift it up with just a spacer or some other tricks?
Just a 4 hole spacer under the carb works fine. Go plastic as it's a better heat insulator too......keeps carby cooler.

I have a 2" tall spacer under my 750HP and weiand xcelerator with a 3.5" tall filter. With a 10cm high hornet scoop I have about 1" clearance.

You don't have to jack your carby up into the cold air. There will still be a fair down force of fresh air to suck in, compared to just sucking in hot under bonnet air.

#24 ·
shaynet said:
northiam,
What a shame - you had to get a Funnelweb inlet manifold just to get the shaker up high enough to stick thru the bonnet!!! Darn!

If we tried to run that manifold on an XD/E we would need a Hornet Scoop as high as the roof line as the whole carby would be above the bonnet

Nice setup
No way Fit a shaker with the funnelweb that came after, the funnelweb would be 2 inch to tall! You can run a xcellator manifold I guess. An XA would be as tight as an XD/F I think.

#25 ·
pracy said:
what kinda spacer size will I need with a redline street torker and a HP DP 650 under a flat hornet like strokexd's?

do you guys lift it up with just a spacer or some other tricks?
I'm only running a 1 inch spacer but have a fairly tall 3 inch air-cleaner. I use an X-treme lid by K&N so the cold air dump's on top of this with about a 10mm gap.

It might be better again to lift the air-cleaner higher into the Hornet scoop itself, but I can't do this with the 14 inch diameter air-cleaner I'm using. To get it into the scoop you need a smaller oval shaped filter or one of those funny little round ones the size of a can of baked beans like Brenx's runs.. :wnc:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.