01' Crown Vic EGR valve cleaning (how to) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28   #1 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

01' Crown Vic EGR valve cleaning (how to)

Here's a $$ saving FYI for all you backyard mechanics. I had a "CHECK ENGINE" and was told it meant my EGR valve was stuck. I was also told it might be possible to clean it good versus replacing it. After researching it on the web, I found it was a job I could probably do. The valve was replaced about 3 years ago so I was hoping to save some $$ and here's what I did and what you'll need:

A new EGR valve gasket ($2) or if your feeling lucky just re-use the old one.

1/4" drive socket extension to remove the engine cover.

WD-40 or Liquid Wrench sprayed on the 2 bolts and manifold to valve nut (wait 10 mins or more)

1/2" socket to disconnect the negative/ground battery cable. This will also reset the check engine light.

Unplug the vacuum hose. A small socket to loosen and move (not remove) bracket over the manifold nut. It may be a 3/8" socket.

1-1/16" open end wrench to loosen the manifold nut. Loosen the manifold nut

10mm socket to loosen the 2 bolts.

Loosen the manifold nut completely and remove 2 bolts.

Spray valve and manifold liberally with carb/choke cleaner. Use a battery terminal type wire brush to clean inside the valve and manifold. Spray, scrub rinse and repeat until clean. I didn't have a wire brush so I used a rag wrapped around a 1/4" extension. I found the manifold to be extremely dirty so this took a while. I sprayed a bit of WD40 inside the valve and then turned it upside down to drain excess and sprayed the threads on the bolts and nut.

Finger tighten the 2 bolts, leave loose. Finger tighten the manifold nut as much as you can. Evenly tighten the 2 bolts then the nut. Replace/secure the bracket and vacuum hose, battery terminal. Start engine and let idle. Does it idle smoothly? Does the check engine light stay off?

I also read where cleaning the valve may also improve air emission readings. Hope this helps someone else save $$, good luck!
prometheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 10:32   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 01' Crown Vic EGR valve cleaning (how to)

Good info. Thanks for posting that.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:44   #3 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

Correction: The socket for the manifold bracket is 9/32" not 3/8" as posted.

Can anyone tell me the discount code for Rockauto.com? Or did it go away?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Were the passages plugged? If not it probably did not fix it. Have done thousands of ford egr codes. Most turn out to be the DPFE sensor or one if the hoses going to it. Would all depend on the code that is set.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:10   #5 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

No, sadly the valve was pretty clean (3 yrs old). Just some carbon buildup in the replacement manifold (2yrs old). The car idles smoothly, no pinging and gas mileage (normally 21-22 mpg) is unknown as I let it idle for 20 mins while checking the new EGR valve. I replaced the EGR valve but still got the check engine light. I'm getting ready to order the DPFE sensor and hoses(2) now. I was never told the actual code, just that I had a stuck EGR valve.

Now if I could only find sensor???
Old 06-26-2013, 12:55   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Look at the second diagram and at the top, it shows the sensor. http://www.justanswer.com/ford/4hsl5...inherited.html
Old 06-27-2013, 08:05   #7 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

Thanks for the diagram Bert! I assume the diagrams are identical for a 97' and an 01'?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:18   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Should be similar.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71