01' CV Tire (bearing?) Rub - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 21:45   #1 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

01' CV Tire (bearing?) Rub

While trying to locate a "ticking" noise, I found that when I spun the front passenger tire and held onto the frame beneath it, I could feel "rub" or a scrape in the same place each time the tire revolved. I suspect it's the sealed wheel bearings?? Car has 105K. Could it possibly be something as minor as the tire being out of balance? Tires are new, lifetime balanced and alignment done.

p.s. the "ticking" noise was later found to be a misaligned hubcap (center piece).
prometheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 22:19   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 01' CV Tire (bearing?) Rub

It could be just the brake pads touching in one pot. pry the barake pads away and check it then.We've had not one seled beaeing go out on over a hundred Crown Vics. That doesn't mean it isn't a bearing but it would be unusual.
Old 12-16-2009, 16:50   #3 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

Good info, I'll have it checked in a couple of weeks when I get the oil changed. Would the pads make a scraping vibration strong enough that I could feel it on the front end frame?
Old 12-16-2009, 21:26   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

When it's up in the air, the vibation travels differently. You don't have it driving, do you?
Old 12-16-2009, 22:48   #5 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

There is some minor, steady vibration for 4 new tires/balance and an alignment shouldn't vibrate at all, right? I suspected the tires may not be perfectly balanced? I'll have them recheck the balancing in 2 weeks when I get the oil changed.
Old 12-22-2009, 20:48   #6 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

FYI followup - I had the tires rebalanced yestiddy and all 4 were OOB! Then the front right rim was found to be a little bit out of true so it was moved to the rear. Front right caliper and pads inspected ok. Should solve the problem right? I am still getting a wobbly type vibration from 55-70 mph. Tires were balanced correctly as I watched them do it. Both axles were aligned 1 week after tires were put on. At low speeds it seems to be ok. Am I just being OCD about the vibration on a 9 year old car??? If I place my open hands on top of the steering wheel, the vibration is very subtle but you can see my hands shaking. BTW there's also new (Monroe sensatrac) shocks all the way around.
Old 12-22-2009, 21:23   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

When there's a vibration at higher speeds, it's usually a balance problem or bent. out of round tire/wheel. There has to be something wrong. My car is a 2000 with 152,000 miles and it's smooth at all speeds. Do you trust the place that balanced and checked them? Why not tell them what it's doing and take them for a ride.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:58   #8 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

Final followup - front rotar was warped causing the vibration, had them turned and had Pro stop ceramic premium pads installed for a mere $170, but with a $25 instant rebate, a $30 mail-in rebate and a $10 gift card total damage was only $95! While they recommended I replace the rotars I settled for having them turned (they havent been turned since the car was new). Anyway I also did the rear drum brakes with the same deal only $180-$25-$30-$10=$105. And yes I had them re-rebalance all 4 tires. The vibration is almost gone but so much nicer to drive! I suspect new rotars would have eliminated it altogether.

FYI - on a side note - if the grease cap is not completed centered, it causes a "ticking" sound when in motion. This is the 2nd time it's happened at this place, otherwise I'm very happy with the service...
Old 01-13-2010, 09:31   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Rotors will only cause a vibration when the brakes are applied. Wheels out of balance cause vibration at road speeds. Usually 50mph or so. Out of round tires or bent wheels cause cibration at lower speeds and up.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:04   #10 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

When I had the re-rebalanced I requested they be balanced at 65 mph, this may have also fixed the prob. I suspect they used 55 or maaaaybe 60MPH previously. Thanks for the input. There wasn't any vibration when I applied the brakes, but I did notice grooves in the rotars. 2/32" pad on the front, 3/32" on the back. At 106K and being the original equipment I figured it was time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71