02 Crown Vic Police Inteceptor running rough - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 11:00   #1 (permalink)

confused 02 Crown Vic Police Inteceptor running rough

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me... I am completly stumped at this point, First my check engine light came on I went down to the parts house and they coded my car and it was one code for a small emission leak. Everything was running fine but I was curious why the light had came on. Yesterday I started the car to check the transmission fluid it was fine shut down the car, I then went back to start it to leave and it sounds like there is a miss in the motor and when get in the car you can actually feel the rattle from I am assuming the miss. At this point I don't know where to start? I checked to see if I had knocked something loose when checking the transmission fluid but seems to be that everything is intact. If someone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
shovel201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 12:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: 02 Crown Vic Police Inteceptor running rough

Personally, I would start with a tune-up. Plugs, wires, filters, etc. Check to make sure all cyclinders are sparking, and that the injectors are going (use a long screw driver, tip on top of the injector, handle at your ear. You should hear a tapping sound even across all injectors). Find the source of your engine code. If it's an exhaust leak, there's usually the tell-tell signs of black soit build up where the leak is. O2 sensor should be checked. The 'miss' could be a combination of things.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:33   #3 (permalink)

I know this sounds stupid please bare with me where are the spark plugs located???? I am completly puzzled...
shovel201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 14:50   #4 (permalink)

Bear with me, I don't know your car personally. The Pol. Intcep. version should be the V8 engine (of some variation). Which means you're going to have four plugs and wires in each side of the engine. If you're standing at the front of the car looking, four on the left, four on the right. Should be in the same location on both sides.

You might want to pick up a shop / serivce / repair manual (what ever you want to call it). It will help you locate, and replace common items such as the spark plugs and wires.

Also, look in the areas you touched, or went near just before it got worse. Look for loose or disconnected wires.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33   #5 (permalink)

I'll bet they are on the inside of the head instead of the outside where you'd traditionally find them. They'll be under individual coils and under the fuel rail. Thats' where my '02 's are located. I'm researching a similar problem to yours but I am not getting any codes. Reluctant to start swapping parts without a better feel for what might be wrong.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:35   #6 (permalink)

P.S. by inside the head, I mean on the intake manifold side as opposed to the exhaust manifold side.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71