03 CV P71 Clicking noise when shifting from R to D - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 17:58   #1 (permalink)

03 CV P71 Clicking noise when shifting from R to D

I have a 2003 P71 125,000 Miles. It recently starting making a clicking noise when shifting from Reverse to Drive or Drive to Reverse. Heard a repeated clicking after going over RR tracks at low speed the repeated clicking stopped when coasting and went away shortly after. Felt a slight vibration when around 35-40 on way home later that day. I haven't driven the car since to avoid further damage.

My first thought was a U-Joint, I got under the car and there is a little play on the end of the drive shaft at the transmission. My son (who works at an autosupply) had a an ASC cert. mechanic mention to him that it could be something with the transmission & spline. He told him I should jack the back wheels of the ground and check for play in the drive shaft. But my son did not remember details on how to tell if it is the U-joints or the tranny spline (19 year old memory). I haven't been able to reach the mechanic to speak to him myself.

Any idea's of what I should be looking for or this type of issue. I am planning on doing the U-joints this weekend, but if there is a way to determine if they are in fact the issue or if it is something inside the tranny I would rather wait and do it all at once.

Thanks for any assistance, sorry for the long winded post.
bpvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 20:31   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 03 CV P71 Clicking noise when shifting from R to D

Here's a video showing one that's very loose but the idea is the same.

Try running it with the overdrive off and see if that changes. If so, the problem is in the transmission.
Old 03-23-2011, 21:54   #3 (permalink)

Bert, that vid didn't play for me. "an error occured...". I'll try again later.
If it was me I would chalk the wheels, put the trans in neutral (not park) and grasp the drive shaft at the rear joint and Twist hard while feeling for any play at the joint.If no play then I'd check to see how much play there is in the diff.and if it is noisy when twisted back and forth.If it is and there is adequate oil in there then you may need to check the pinion.
Then I would put the trans in Park and jack the wheels up off the ground, place jack-stands under there and do the same check at the front joint.
If the joints show NO play at all then I would check for excessive play in the trans. and how much noise this play creates. If that is the case then I guess I would start with checking the splines although I have never seen this as an issue personally (limited experience with newer fords).
Old 03-24-2011, 03:49   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Video working o.k here , good at illustrating this fault .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:24   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

NoLeaks2001 explains it well. After the video, follow his explanation.
Old 04-06-2011, 19:02   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for eveyone's input, it was the front U-joint that and a trany service it's purring like a lion.
bpvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 19:52   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for the update. Glad it's fixed.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71