'03 P71 Crown Victoria transmission R&R - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 08:42   #1 (permalink)

'03 P71 Crown Victoria transmission R&R

This is my first post here. I am a new owner of a Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I bought my '03 about 2 weeks ago and the transmission has failed. Other than the tranny, it is a nice car. I love it so far but I do have to remove and replace the transmission. The person I bought the car from is supplying another '03 tranny for me to put in myself. I plan to open the replacement before installing it to make sure no parts need to be replaced and it is good working order. What gaskets or seals do I need to get to put back in after I open and inspect the transmission?

I am going to be doing this job in my backyard on pavement with ramps under the front tires and a 3 ton hydraulic jack for the transmission. I have a good friend who is going to be doing the job with me who is a mechanic. I would appreciate any vehicle specific tips or tricks or just general advice. I have never done this before but am confident I can. I have done just about everything else on a car or truck.

Thank you everyone for the help. I am glad to be a Panther owner!
passive357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 07:54   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: '03 P71 Crown Victoria transmission R&R

The transmissions weren't a big problem. I would just put it in and run it. other than servicing it. They had a very low failure rate. Just make sure to use Mercon 5 fluid.

I replaced 2 in one day. That's what happens when our supervisor had us to put a Seafoam additive in them and we had 5 go out in 2 monthes. And what happens when they hire someone that doesn't know mechanics to be a supervisor. The only additive to ever use in a transmission is Lubgard and you don't have to use any.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:30   #3 (permalink)

Make sure you get it high enough to pry on the cross member and get a BIG pry bar. The cross members are pinched into place and can be a pain to remove. Most leave a bolt loose on one side of the cross member and pull it down and away from the work area.
Stick462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 21:12   #4 (permalink)

I am going to begin removing the tranny tomorrow morning. I have decided not to crack open the replacement and just install it as is. I am sure it'll be fine, at least for a while. I am guessing it'll take most of a day to get the old one out. I have heard about the crossmember being a challenge to get out and I appreciate the advice.

The replacement tranny had been outside for a little while, possibly months. Do I just install it as is and then flush it and replace the filter and fluid? What is the best way to go? I don't wanna blow a used transmission because I didn't service it properly.
Old 04-09-2010, 21:32   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I wonder if it would be a good idea to pull the converter and dump the fluid, then do a filter change after installing? What do you think Bert?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:00   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd say jwko has the right idea. Pull the pan to replace the filter and convertor to drain it. Make sure to use Mercon 5 ATF. It should take about 11 qts.
Old 04-10-2010, 16:50   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I've also heard when a transmission is out of the vehicle, don't turn it upside down to remove the pan. Supposedly metal gunk in the pan will run back into the transmission.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 00:17   #8 (permalink)

Great info guys! Thanks. I have got the down pipes uninstalled and out of the way. The crossmember came out with out too much trouble and the transmission bolts are all loose enough to remove by hand. Pointers I got here on taking out the crossmember were a definate bonus. I am going to drop it completely tomorrow. Does the drive shaft spline that mates up to the transmission have to be disconnected, is there anything holding it in or does it just slide out? When will tranny fluid start gushing out? Should I just drop the pan and drain it before removing? I will not turn it upside down before i install it. I'm going to install the new transmission as is and service it once it is in the car. Unless that is not the right way to go.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:26   #9 (permalink)

Check the new install transmission fluid before you put it in the car. Smell it and put some between your fingers to check smell and feel .Is it still bright red??If it smells burnt or feels grity Take the new convertor and empty the convertor before you install. When reinstalling the convertor make sure it is pushed all the way into the pump.Turn the convertor as you install /you should feel drag as it turns the front pump and be in 1 inch in from the bellhousing. Line up the bolt holes too the convertor and the flex plate before you install .Before first startup drop the trans pan and change the filter.Install 8 quarts Mercon 5 start car and put it threw the tran ranges checking fluid level .Install fluid till full on dip stick.Safe motoring.
Stick462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 13:24   #10 (permalink)

Ran into a little hiccup. I removed the plate and shaft from the transmission where the clutches are to check out what it looked like. It looks good. No metal, clutch material is nice and fresh looking. But I think it has been rebuilt and never even ran since. It has a remanufactured torque converter on it. How can I tell if the torque converter is good? Which one do I use? I clean away the dirt and grime and uncovered a frown face like so :-( spray painted on the back of the tranny where the drive shaft connects(transfer case?). The little fluid in the tranny looks perfect like it was never run. There was a very fine metal powder on the magnet but so fine you couldn't feel grit at all when you rub it between your fingers. Almost like graphite powder. Think I should open it to look further?

I am having trouble getting the clutch plates back in and freely spinning again when the tranny is reassembled. I put the clutch plates back in one by one and they seem to be in right. I replace the plate and shaft, tighten the bolts, and I cannot spin the shaft anymore. What am I missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71