04 Crown Vic Squealing pulley or something...WTF? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 06:45   #1 (permalink)
Vmc

04 Crown Vic Squealing pulley or something...WTF?

Hey guys.......This sounds stoopid, but I have a pulley or SOMETHING squealing like mad...I replaced the idler pulley, and the tensioner pulley....PULLEY ONLY, not the tensioner assembly.

Squealing went away AT FIRST, but after a day or so, came BACK.

Has anyone ever heard of the tensioner assembly itself squealing (worn out internally?) when under load vs the pulley squealing?

Also, this problem changes when you turn the A/C on or off......When it's on, the tensioner dances quite a bit, and the squealing increases, but not so much when it's off.

I haven't been able to get a stethoscope on it yet, (don't HAVE one) so I guess it COULD still be the A/C, but I'm leaning toward the tensioner...... ALSO, when I relieved the tensioner to remove the belt, there was what I considered unusual movement (slop?) of the assembly fore and aft...Is this normal?

P.S. I have 134k miles on it.

Cliffs:

1. LOUD squealing coming from what I suspected was a pulley.
2. REPLACED idler pulley and pulley only on tensioner.
3. Noise abated briefly, but now has come back, although to a lesser degree.
4. Tensioner assembly has some slop, but I don't know if it's normal.
5. noise comes and goes under load.

Is it?:
1. the tensioner assembly itself and the internals grinding together, making the noise?
2. Is it the A/C compressor and I am screwed?
3. I like pie.

Thanks for any wisdom or advice guys, sirius.

Vmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 09:00   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 04 Crown Vic Squealing pulley or something...WTF?

It could be the tensioner spring has lost some tension and doesn't hold the belt tight enough. You didn't mention the belt. Is it new and what brand is it? Is it the same size as the one you took off? Do you have the number for the belt?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:49   #3 (permalink)
Vmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
It could be the tensioner spring has lost some tension and doesn't hold the belt tight enough. You didn't mention the belt. Is it new and what brand is it? Is it the same size as the one you took off? Do you have the number for the belt?

Thanks Bert....

I didn't change the belt, and it is in good shape and has a lot more miles on it...... I'm wondering if the tensioner can make a lot of noise internally, but haven't found the answer yet...my next move (When I get paid again) is to just change the tensioner, that is, if I can't get my hands on a stethoscope before then...

( The noise isn't a slipping belt, if that was where you were going)

Thanks for the reply!!
Vmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:57   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Did you try to run it very shortly with the belt off to make sure that's where it is? Another thing to check is the crankshaft pulley to make sure it's not coming apart.
Old 09-20-2010, 14:43   #5 (permalink)

In 1998, I had a 1994 F-150 4x4, 45,000 miles on it. I had a similar experience.. The tensioner made the most awful racket.. So, while it was running, I soaked it with WD40, and it quite right down.. I replaced the whole unit.. Maybe, I did not have to???, but it solved my problem...
72mgm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 19:56   #6 (permalink)

Spray some water from a spray bottle on the inside of the belt with the car running, If it stops squealing its the belt. It could also be the water pump on its way out. I would also suspect the idler and tensioner pulley bearings. I recommend replacing the belt anyway and keep the old one in the trunk just in case of emergency. (Break a belt and you will be "Dead In The Water" without a replacement) On my 98 CVPI about 2 days after i bought it it started squealing and everything looked good, I changed the belt just to have a spare and it has not squealed since then. All my cars have spare belt(s) in the trunk just in case.
Robert44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71